Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabloxprt

Reaction score
Hey there folks.
I just started my first grow of the plants i purchased from essentially hops. At the start i have to mention that i am really pleased with the grow. The plants arrived wrapped in separate packages surrounded by moss for keeping them moist. The plants were labeled and had a instructions included clearly saying what soil to use and etc.
da3be3f76382e1af72f37beb90a953ed.jpg

The rhizomes were planted on the day they arrived in. I've used recommended soil from the instructions sent with the plants. I purchased biggest cheap pots i could find in homebase.
Before planting i filled 40 cm tall pot with the soil in one third adding a handful of Grosure planting magic and mixed it well with that soil. Then i covered it with soil from one and a half bag filling the pot in three quarters and braking it down with my hands so the texture is even and there is no lumps in it. After that I made a deep hole and planted the rhizome so the newly developed parts of it are just above the ground. I was careful and needed to be sure that the roots are positioned downward and not folded up. My intention was to have rhizomes just above the bottom soil that was mixed withfertilizer so it will not damage the gentle root and give plants boost after the root system is fully developed.
1fd0831ab5522df23968eec6383929ae.jpg

9d1cf254e37ea643862f406d68f6dafe.jpg

The soil was nice and moist so further watering wasn't necessary.
It was raining quite often so everything was just left alone.
A month or so later here is what the plants look like.
51503c87f8ef50b8898f1d7122b1ede1.jpg
94699bdf1961b89afe6673672742b046.jpg
34a5ecdd8bb56eb6f19e2ab91719ef53.jpg

I will be updating this post so you can follow the grow and learn from my experience 😀
Regards

just today planted my cascade rhizome in a medium sized pot and got a bloody great big one to transfer too later on when it gets going properly,cant plant in ground as our soil is just carp
great thread btw

Looking good so far Pablo. I bought a Phoenix from the same place last year and also planted in a big pot with the idea of growing it permanantly in that pot. But it grew really quick and so, back in January, I decided to plant it in the garden. It's up now looking twice the plant it was last year.

I also bought a Fuggle in January, but decided to plant that one straight in the garden. It's two shoots are already a foot long.

Whereabouts are you? - (if it's the Shetlands you're doing well)...(if it's Madrid - maybe not)...

Keep up the progress reports..! :thumb:

planted mine in a 50/50 mix of miracle grow compost and organic farm yard manure in and around the rhizome with miracle grow mixed with sand at the bottom and a layer of pebbles on top of that.fingers crossed

Nice, i like seeing how everyone s hops are doing, inspired me to take some photos and update the first time growers thread.

I have already got some progress and a target that are coming through strong after last year but wanted a citrusy hop hence buying the rhizome this week
any ideas how long before it pops its head above ground being buried horizontally around 4 inches deep?

Well there was no intention of moving the plants after first year. I will see how things are and decide then. As i said everything will be here. I would love to be in Madrid but I think the grow is not to bad considering that I live in Belfast and i planted those rhizomes about 5 weeks ago. Thanks for all the nice words lads ☺ Wish me luck.....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Planted two Prima Donna Rhizomes earlier in the week, both in very large pots. Both already had shoots so they should be a sure thing. They were kindly donated to me by a local brewery!

Oops i buried mine completely. I take it it should not be laid flat and i need to dig mine up?

Hops are effectively a weed - it's pretty much that, if it's in the ground then it'll grow:thumb: I left mine in two 6" pots for a couple of years without tending them whilst between houses, and they were fine.

Unfortunately the kids shredded one (the only thing to kill First Gold so far), but I got a good crop from the other in the first year in a big pot - I laid it flat too. So don't worry

Cheers, gonna go and lie it down flat again then. I have a habit of killing plants. I tried to grow stuff on my windows and after a while i had either greenfly or something that made webs over the plants and drained the life out of them. I have it in a bucket pot outside in the greenhouse now because of that.

Cheers, gonna go and lie it down flat again then. I have a habit of killing plants. I tried to grow stuff on my windows and after a while i had either greenfly or something that made webs over the plants and drained the life out of them. I have it in a bucket pot outside in the greenhouse now because of that.
I find mint plants to be a good bug repellent. As soon as i planted it in couple pots around my other plants like basil and bay leaf the green fly is barely noticeable. Having so much mint is a good excuse for a mojito 🍸😁

Up here in Sunny South West Scotland my 4 plants are now above ground and the two are at least 6 inches high. scared the late frosts will get them but have rolled the dice and see how it goes.

Planted two Prima Donna Rhizomes earlier in the week, both in very large pots. Both already had shoots so they should be a sure thing. They were kindly donated to me by a local brewery!
Prima Donna's a dwarf hop so a good choice for pots.

Pabloxprt said:
I find mint plants to be a good bug repellent. As soon as i planted it in couple pots around my other plants like basil and bay leaf the green fly is barely noticeable. Having so much mint is a good excuse for a mojito
Spider mites and blackfly have been my enemies with hops. Spider mites will suck the sap from the plant causing growth to stop and the leaves to go pale. Keep a look out for them and remove them immediately if seen. Strangely these seem to be worst on new plants when I'm keeping them indoors for the first few weeks.

Blackfly live mostly under the leaves. You can keep them at bay with a dilute washing up liquid spray - basically a clone of the insect sprays you see at the garden center. Look at the ingredients on those and you'll most likely see water plus 'anionic surfactant' which is tech-speak for soap.

Oops i buried mine completely. I take it it should not be laid flat and i need to dig mine up?
I know its only 7 days buried tomorrow but still no sign of a shoot yet,am I being to impatient? Read that it should only be covered by an inch or two if earth so I took a few inches out the pot
How about yours beercat ?

Don't worry, they are like a weed, I bury them 6 to 9 inches deep horizontal, there is too much worry and tech talk around them, just feed them through the season and they will fly, all they need is a month frost free and they will kick in.
Regards

Back