Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually been a poor growing year, my chillies were rubbish too.

That mirrors our 2023 summer here in the UK, both my hops and chillies were poor. In fact, I've been growing chillis for almost 20 years and there was just no heat in any of them last summer, I guess it was the lack of sunlight: was warm enough, just cloudy nearly every day. 2024 seems to be going the same way :roll:

2023 was only my first hop growing season here in Kent so I restricted growth to 1 bine per rootstock.
Enough for 2 brews 18L each, late additions only.
2024 and the shoots are showing from the ground up to 5cm so far on all 3 plantings.
They are all the dwarf Prima Donna so this year I think I'll just let'em rip and see what happens.
Our chillies 2023 crop was down, but as hot as ever (mini greenhouse, SW facing small walled garden). Tabasco variety.

Commercial brewers here using green hops (ie undried) work on adding 7x what they would use of dried hops, in the US they seem to work on 5-6x, either way - there's a lot of water in them.

Also to my eyes they look a touch under-ripe in your photo.
Yeah I'm not organised for a green hop brew so threw some in the dehydrator at 35 degs last night, will do them in batches, vacuum pack and freeze.
Regards being ready, there was a lot of brown tips not apparent in the photos, they were papery to the touch, and popped off the plant in one piece with no stalks. So I 'think' that's about right?

That mirrors our 2023 summer here in the UK, both my hops and chillies were poor. In fact, I've been growing chillis for almost 20 years and there was just no heat in any of them last summer, I guess it was the lack of sunlight: was warm enough, just cloudy nearly every day. 2024 seems to be going the same way :roll:
They are great companion plants... 🙂
And yes think it was the mixed weather, had some hot days but a lot of cold spells in between, and rain was either none for days/weeks or torrents.

Yeah I'm not organised for a green hop brew so threw some in the dehydrator at 35 degs last night, will do them in batches, vacuum pack and freeze.
Regards being ready, there was a lot of brown tips not apparent in the photos, they were papery to the touch, and popped off the plant in one piece with no stalks. So I 'think' that's about right?
Fair enough, sounds about right, it was just a thought based on the flavour comment. I don't know if it's the photos but both cones and leaves look rather pale, they could perhaps benefit from some nitrogen??

Ah good point, they probably could. I pretty much left them alone this year, previous years I've fed them manure, compost and flower fertiliser. Given the rate they grow no doubt the soil is a bit depleted...

Maybe a couple of weeks later than ideal but I finally got my twine up ready for this years crop of Centenial and Fuggles. Ignore the hazelnut tree in the foreground.

IMG_7822.jpeg

Last edited:
only my cascade is showing any sign of life at the moment.

No sign of my Cascade yet which is a bit worrying, although they do grow at different rates : my Challenger is about 2ft high but the clear winner so far is these Styrian Goldings, they look about 5ft high, could reach the top of the support by the end of the month.

1713109188561.jpeg

Edit: just found the Cascade, only about 2 inches out of the soil.

Last edited:
Something to watch out for after this warm winter is spring dormancy, where they germinate but when they reach the surface realise that the day length is all wrong and so shut down for a few weeks and end up a few weeks behind which then affects total yields. Bramling Cross is notorious for it, but all the Golding family suffer from it to some extent. It's worse when it's warm and dry, so the wet could have saved them.

Last year was interesting and probably the worst year so far for me: the Styrian Goldings & Challenger had a nice early growth spurt but the dry spell in late Spring made them all shrivel up. They recovered to a degree, but the Cascade had a more linear growth and was the best in 2023, conversely the Challenger was best in 2022.

So far this year has seen more linear growth with them all, albeit a bit slow due to the cloud / temp / amount of rain. Will be interesting to see which hop is best this year.

IMG_20240413_180245.jpg

My Prima Donna #1.
Getting away nicely.
On a different wall #2 has one shoot similar, with other shoots some way behind but still leafing up.
#3 on that same SE wall as #2, but shoots have that stunted look as described with no leaves spreading, even the 150mm high one. .
It is more shaded, and its roots may be fighting lilles.
Perhaps it needs to be transplanted elsewhere.
There's certainly been no shortage of ground water this Spring!

Latest posts

Back