Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by Pabloxprt, Mar 25, 2017.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jun 3, 2019 #361

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks Terry - yes was thinking of alternating with miracle gro.
    seems odd you stop feeding when the burrs (assume the flowers) start when with tomatoes I think you start feeding when they appear. Not that I'm a gardening (well I am but a not a good one!).

2. Jun 3, 2019 #362

terrym

terrym

terrym

If you Google hop burr images you will see what to look for. Burrs slowly turn into cones.
    And you are right. I don't start feeding my toms until the first trusses have set.

3. Jun 3, 2019 #363

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First site I found started with
    "Growing hops is one of the hardest crop choices in farming"

as I said not the best gardener - more a plant and hope for the best approach!

4. Jul 3, 2019 #364

terrym

terrym

terrym

My two 2 year old Prima Donna (First Gold) hop plants growing in 20+ litre pots took a bit of a bashing on Saturday last when temperatures went above 30*C and we went out for the day, even though they are not in full sun all day. Although I water them most days when it hasn't rained and watered them on Friday evening I clearly hadn't given them enough, for when I had a look on Sunday morning both plants had withered, some of the leaves were burned, others were going yellow, some of the smaller secondaries had dried up and in general both plants looked in poor shape, one worse than the other. I actually thought I had lost them. Anyway the pots had a good drenching , and over the day they picked up with leading bines lifting up again. Subsequently I have watered more frequently. However more leaves are now going yellow and I think I could lose about half of them. The big lesson for me is to water more frequently, especially when its hot.
    The good news is that I think new shoots are growing out of secondaries which I thought I had lost, although any hop yield I get may now be down, time will tell on that.
    Anyone else with a similar experience?

PS Should add that these are dwarf hop type typically growing to 3 m max. However they are both about 4 m long, although 2 metres of that is horizontal, and therefore maybe bigger than they are supposed to be. Maybe that's one reason they struggle in the heat, given they are also in pots.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. Jul 3, 2019 #365

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

I saw some photographs of Prima Donna Hops where towards the end of the season the leaves had yellowed to an extent where I would have thought they were dead or diseased! It's not the site I was looking at but check out the RHS colour descriptions.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/162460/Humulus-lupulus-Prima-Donna/Details

Maybe that's why they have the name "First Gold" because they are prone to be the first hop plant to change colour ...

... or maybe yours were just a lot thirsty!

PS
    I'm wondering and more than a little concerned, about how my own little Prima Donna is coping with the +40*C temperatures that have been found in France! My only hope is that because it is at the bottom of the land it will get enough water to survive!

terrym likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2019 #366

terrym

terrym

terrym

@Dutto .
    Thanks for that.
    That's very useful to know.athumb..
    I think my virtually overnight leaf yellowing is more a sign of a few hours dehydration. I have to say I thought hop plants were supposed to be more resilient than this. Even potted tomato plants can seriously wilt if the roots dry out a little, but will fully recover within an hour or two of watering.

Dutto likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2019 #367

dan125

dan125

dan125

BIAB brewer

My hops in the ground are looking pretty good despite not being watered at all and the neighbour's weedkilling efforts (think I'd mixed it too dilute)
    Had to cut back loads of new and side shoots to stop it getting too bushy - no sign of any actual hops yet though
    Beagle and lurcher's a**e for scale

Attached Files:

Dutto and terrym like this.
  8. Jul 3, 2019 #368

gar

gar

gar

Hi Terry. I've the same type and age plants. And pretty much the same has happened to mine.
    No hops last year and looking like a repeat performance this year...

terrym likes this.
  9. Jul 3, 2019 #369

terrym

terrym

terrym

Oh! Not good to hear. asad1
    However I did get about 70/80g of dried hops last year and was hoping for more this year, until this happened.

10. Jul 4, 2019 #370

Pinter

Pinter

Pinter

My prima Donna is in year 3 & it had this last year - thought it had died, but it grew again towards the end of the season - no hops though. This year it's struggling again. Not sure what it is, there were aphids & black fly & there's always and all over it (farming aphids). I've been watering it fairly regularly. It has a few side shoots so there is some hope

terrym likes this.
  11. Jul 4, 2019 #371

terrym

terrym

terrym

I've got some aphids but the ladybird nymphs are keeping them down. I removed more yellow/brown leaves today. However still some green leaves left and both plants have short healthy shoots at soil level although I intend to remove them. Also many tiny new shoots emerging higher up the bines. Less hopeful about getting a reasonable crop of hops though.

12. Jul 4, 2019 #372

Honk

Honk

Honk

Regular.

My Prima Donna is much the same, it was neglected last year and I got no hops but have been watering more regularly this year, looks healthier near the top so I'm hoping for a few.

terrym likes this.
  13. Jul 5, 2019 #373

mozza

mozza

mozza

First attempt at growing hops this year. Planted Goldings and Challenger rhizomes in April. They’re a good 10 feet now and not slowing down. Would be nice to see a few cones in a few weeks but we will see!

Attached Files:

14. Jul 5, 2019 #374

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

Isn't it a bit early to be getting any signs of cones yet - pretty sure it was well into August last year before I got anything showing.

15. Jul 5, 2019 #375

mozza

mozza

mozza

August is just a few weeks away

16. Jul 5, 2019 #376

terrym

terrym

terrym

+1 on that
    Last year (and my only year so far) I got the first burrs appearing early July and these changed into cones in August which I then picked in early/mid September. Burrs continued to appear well into August but they didn't come to much.

17. Jul 11, 2019 #377

dan125

dan125

dan125

BIAB brewer

Just spotted this whilst pruning yet more side shoots out - the only one so far mind you :laugh8:
    20190711_195028.jpg

mozza likes this.
  18. Jul 11, 2019 #378

terrym

terrym

terrym

I think I'm jealous asad1

dan125 likes this.
  19. Jul 11, 2019 #379

dan125

dan125

dan125

BIAB brewer

Already looking forward to this year's green hop brew, even if it just just a singular green hop