Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Wezzle

Reaction score
My prima Donna is technically only a year old but doing very well. No signs of flowering yet, but I don't expect it either.

Whilst cutting back only the best 5 shoots I picked my best 2 off-cuts and used some rooting formula my partner got for her shrubs, and they also seem to be doing very well, one now looks as big as the main plant when I first got it last August.
I didn't think it would work as I previously heard you had to split the rhizome to get multiple plants.

mclaughlinj

Reaction score
I picked my best 2 off-cuts and used some rooting formula my partner got for her shrubs, and they also seem to be doing very well, one now looks as big as the main plant when I first got it last August.
I didn't think it would work as I previously heard you had to split the rhizome to get multiple plants.
I’ve also heard it can be hard to get actual cuttings to take - so good job you!

I’m going to try this next year:

Can’t face lifting the root and splitting the rhizomes - I’m likely to kill the whole plant.

gar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
😬 That’s not good - has it severed completely or do you think you might be able to splint it? 🤞
It's shriveled up very quickly. There are still a few vines intact, so not a complete loss.
It wasn't completely cut, but enough to kill it.

Wezzle

Reaction score
I’m going to try this next year:
I find it a bit odd they say to literally just stick a cutting into dirt. I used "Maxicrop Take Root" root growth stimulant. Brown stuff, horrible to get on clothes but everything we've used with it has been growing nicely.

mclaughlinj

Reaction score
I find it a bit odd they say to literally just stick a cutting into dirt. I used "Maxicrop Take Root" root growth stimulant. Brown stuff, horrible to get on clothes but everything we've used with it has been growing nicely.
But it’s not a cutting that’s being stuck in soil, it’s a middle portion of the shoot, stripped of foliage, while still attached to the main root stock. It is only severed from the main plant at the end of the season once the portion beneath the soil has had a chance to develop its own rhizome. It took me a couple of reads to figure out what they were doing!

May try the rooting solution myself though, after your success, as it’s a little less faff.