Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick query to an experienced hop grower like johnnyboy65.do different hop strains have thicker sturdier bines than others? Got 3 different strains growing and the thickest one is the progress, just wondered

Now that the hot weather's arrived it's a good idea to get out there and check under the leaves for blackfly and get the soap spray on anything you find. There must have been hundreds on mine. Not any more...

Hi there again folks. My grow is continuing strong. I managed to take a lot of cuttings from the bottom of the plants. Once planted every single one developed nice root system and now i have some small plants.
The hops i planted in big pots are doing great. About two weeks ago noticed that plant leaves got very light green-yellowish colour. I decided to use little bit of miracle gro diluted in water i used to water the plants with. I watered the plants with it and after 2 days i used it to spray the plants to feed the plant through the leaves. Just after 24 hours after leaf feeding i noticed that the plants changed their colour to dark green and looked a lot better than before. Because of some sunny days the spray damaged couple bottom leaves.(picture attached) I do not recommend spraying these with anything especialy when sun still operates . I managed to get some sheep manure and mixed it with the top layer of soil in the pots. Now the leaves look dark colour and the plants look healthier than ever the stems got thicker and there are new bines developed higher at the plant. I am not too sure what to do with those. I think i just leave them as there is only about 1.5m between tip ot the tallest plant (cascade) and to a roof of my house.
Any suggestions are always welcome.
Have a very hoppy day :-)
c874d416357d3decc986fdf0cff43031.jpg
314a1dafc482cc456db8c1076526bd31.jpg
c1c83ee2c0d207226bc6946d8a788736.jpg
7b33f52876e5485327d85fa1a44077ba.jpg

I've had a First Gold since 2009 and have noticed that a very heavy crop is followed by a poor one the year after. Last year's was a belter and predictably, growth is sluggish this time around and reckon I'll be lucky to get enough for 2 brews.

A little help needed in the last couple days my hop plants side shoots have grown massive do I tuck these in under string or train them or what should I do to control them so they don't start going over fence to neighbours house

DSC_0312.jpg

Just a note on aphids - a couple of weeks ago I bought some ladybird larvae to put on the roses and chillies and there's no trace of greenfly or blackfly now. I also wandered round catching adult ladybirds and put those on other plants, which they patrolled until all the pests were gone too.

I got the larvae from Green Gardener, but I'm sure lots of other places have them too. Much better than insecticides and as they do all the work, easier than spraying with soapy water.

My hop plants have had a growth spurt in the last week or so. Probably still a little behind a lot people being in the north.

Its the warm weather thats made them jump. once the cold night go they will move quickly. Plenty of water and some miracle grow will see them fly. Nice little set up there ,i hope your not wasting the ground underneath them hope your planting it.

Its the warm weather thats made them jump. once the cold night go they will move quickly. Plenty of water and some miracle grow will see them fly. Nice little set up there ,i hope your not wasting the ground underneath them hope your planting it.

Yeah gonna start putting some feed on em now. Gonna put some blackcurrants under there (for wine) as they don't mind a little bit of shade, might stick some blueberries under there too. What kind of yield do you expect from each plant? Enough for more than one 20 litre brew?

Yeah gonna start putting some feed on em now. Gonna put some blackcurrants under there (for wine) as they don't mind a little bit of shade, might stick some blueberries under there too. What kind of yield do you expect from each plant? Enough for more than one 20 litre brew?

Cant tell you about hop yield i am growing this year for the first time . i strongly advise against putting black currents there they are invasive and take some getting out once in. i planted 4 plants 5 years ago now they have covered a area 20 x 6 ft, mind get mega amount of black currents . if you paid postage i am sure i could send you has many young current bushes has you need free.

oh dear,went down the garden just to inspect the hops and to my horror my only cascade which was around 7 feet tall has had its head lopped off could be them damn squirrels scampering around,i grew it from a rhiszome and it only sent up the one shoot,what happens now anyone? I wasn't expecting hops from it this year but will it now put all its energy into its root development for next year or just wilt and die?:pray: thanks

Just a quick query to an experienced hop grower like johnnyboy65.do different hop strains have thicker sturdier bines than others? Got 3 different strains growing and the thickest one is the progress, just wondered

Ive never noticed any difference. Th older the plant is the thicker the bines will be.

Hi there again folks. My grow is continuing strong. I managed to take a lot of cuttings from the bottom of the plants. Once planted every single one developed nice root system and now i have some small plants.
The hops i planted in big pots are doing great. About two weeks ago noticed that plant leaves got very light green-yellowish colour. I decided to use little bit of miracle gro diluted in water i used to water the plants with. I watered the plants with it and after 2 days i used it to spray the plants to feed the plant through the leaves. Just after 24 hours after leaf feeding i noticed that the plants changed their colour to dark green and looked a lot better than before. Because of some sunny days the spray damaged couple bottom leaves.(picture attached) I do not recommend spraying these with anything especialy when sun still operates . I managed to get some sheep manure and mixed it with the top layer of soil in the pots. Now the leaves look dark colour and the plants look healthier than ever the stems got thicker and there are new bines developed higher at the plant. I am not too sure what to do with those. I think i just leave them as there is only about 1.5m between tip ot the tallest plant (cascade) and to a roof of my house.
Any suggestions are always welcome.
Have a very hoppy day :-)
c874d416357d3decc986fdf0cff43031.jpg
314a1dafc482cc456db8c1076526bd31.jpg
c1c83ee2c0d207226bc6946d8a788736.jpg
7b33f52876e5485327d85fa1a44077ba.jpg

Just a few observations. Hope you dont mind.
Top Pic....remove the growing tip from all these bines.
Top dress all your potted plants with John Innes No3
The reason the bottom leaves have turned yellow is because they have used up all the nutrients in your bottom medium. Do not use Miracle Gro, this just produces a weaker "lazy" plant

My hop plants have had a growth spurt in the last week or so. Probably still a little behind a lot people being in the north.

Im afraid your support frame is no where near strong enough. In 2 months time when they are bigger a small gust of wind will bring it all down. 8ft fencing posts and washing line is better. are better

Back