Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reference. Update from pic 3 or 4 posts above with dog. First season, southern hemisphere, planted in Oct...
hops def 2021.jpg

How are yours going @RoomWithABrew

Last edited:
Hi @sifty
Some progress, first picture of my EKG on the 14th Jan.
Second yesterday. Growing well 4 good strands reached the top and some flowers starting. Feeding and watering it regularly. Lots of side branches coming out, certainly got some power and the 2 cuttings also growing well in the pots.

IMG_20220115_085831.jpg
IMG_20220128_110350.jpg

So looks like I'm getting close to harvest. Pretty good crop for the first year...
hippyhop 1.jpg

Mixed Cascade and Fuggle plants, (L & R). Well intertwined, which I was warned about, but luckily can tell them apart easily...

hippyhop 2.jpg

And not quite ready but definitely yellow lupulin present in the Cascade...

hippyhop 3.jpg

Now need to research when they are ready to pick...

Last edited:
My bare root hop has been in its new home for a few weeks just now, but I'm glad it's not showing any life yet given the frosts and snow we had last week. A few questions based on this thread, and I'm really sorry if these have been answered elsewhere, I've read through a lot of this thread but not every post.
  • Is it better to use wire or twine for them to grow up?
  • What's the best way to anchor the wire or twine into the ground?
  • How many shoots should you allow to develop before pinching some out?
  • We have a major squirrel problem due to a 50ft Scots pine at the bottom of the garden - reading here it seems they may be quite an issue - is this correct?
Thanks for all the expertise here.

How to grow hops depends on variety, some are better suited to traditional tall hop gardens (target, fuggles), some like cascade are not as tall and suited to hedge growing.

Two pictures from Musée de la fraise, Wepion, Namur, Belgium.
Suspended at the top of the pole is a ring attached to which are wires that the hops grow. The ring is attached to a rope that act as a pully, flag pole style to raise and lower it for picking. Advantage, no need for annual long ladders to tie strings.

Generally limit 2 bines per wire, they get too crowded. Don't let the hops grow into the tree, they are difficult to pull out.

Attachments

• 20170421_165407.jpg
    20170421_165407.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170421_165418.jpg
    20170421_165418.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 46
Joining the hop growing club (my dad is actually growing them for me on his allotment), so will be following this thread with interest.
We've got cascade, centennial, phoenix and northern brewer.
He's just putting them in the ground this weekend (in old bathtubs in case they are invasive) and then we will build some trellis contraption.

@DocAnna
peanut butter and an air rifle.

My hops grew better up the rope than they did up the cane I started them on, they couldn't grip the bamboo cane.

@sifty
My hops not doing as well as yours, coming on but a bit behind. Have EKG should get some, but the tangerine dream might only get 20 cones but that's a first year plant. x2 cuttings of EKG growing well so might be up for a swap next year.

Will post another picture when I get in the garden.

I'm looking forward to what a season brings. I didn't get much last year.

Attachments

• DSC_0119-02.jpeg
    DSC_0119-02.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31
@Little Rock Brewing

I have my hops in half 50 gallon barrels like you planted this year. Seen with the wood clad disguise in post 822.
I copied the design of the IBC planter beds for them.
Basically I got hold of a plastic pallet and cut it to fit in the bottom of the barrel. Covered that with weed matting which poked down into the " holes " where the pallet legs are and then a layer of sand about 2 inches thick which filled up the holes on the pallet.
Then another layer of weed matting. Drill a hole in the side of the barrel that a pipe about 6 inches long , I used a piece of 20mm water pipe . Attach a piece of weed matting to the inside of the pipe cable tied on, so the pipe is half in and half out. This is your overflow drain. Looks like you have something that will do this already to be moved from the bits you cut off the top.
You can attach another piece of pipe that runs from the bottom of the barrel to just above the top secure again with cable ties at the top this is for watering into.
THen fill the rest of the container with soil and manure and plant your hops. One per pot or one type.
Have to admit I don't water down the fill pipe just water from the top. Feed regularly as well as water.

The cladding I made from a cable drum to make a fake barrel. The pumpkin and tomato in the pot were unintentional self planters from the compost.

Just been out squeezing mine. Getting a slight papery sound and visible yellow lupulin in the Fuggle cones now. Think I'm a couple of days away from first harvest. 🙂

@sifty
Mine still feel quite wet, some only 1cm and still forming. Photo of the biggest EKG at the moment and a view out of the brew room window with hops on the top. I reckon around 10th of march for mine but will watch closely. Have an English bitter planned and I'll use the few hops I get in the hop missile as a hopback addition.
IMG_20220302_113452.jpg

IMG_20220226_161002.jpg

Latest posts

Back