Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just picked my "Prima Donna' and can say that they have absolutely no smell whatsoever...weid

Mine arn't quite ready yet but again no smell at all at the moment, somewhere I read on this forum ( I think) that someone else experienced the same but the smell only became apparent once they were dried. Anyone know if this is at all normal with prima Donna?

I'm hoping mine will develop a hoppy smell before they get picked.

Stuff the law - fill yer boots! I know I would, and raid the elderberries too, if there was any to be had.

This is a small central London park where there are a lot of commuters walking through who'd love to tell someone off.

I remembered I have a friend who works for Camden council so I've asked her if she knows what the law is. The park is in the borough of Camden.

I'd be surprised if there was a legal problem with picking these hops, if worried about people telling you off, wear a high Viz then they will assume your there working.

This is a small central London park where there are a lot of commuters walking through who'd love to tell someone off.

I remembered I have a friend who works for Camden council so I've asked her if she knows what the law is. The park is in the borough of Camden.

I think it maybe.....I know that you are not allowed to remove any wild plant, ut these are a "crop" same a blackberries.
The plant doesnt belong to you, so you can have the flowers. If anyone says anything just tell them what you are doing and by removing the flowers the bine will grow better next year.

Mine arn't quite ready yet but again no smell at all at the moment, somewhere I read on this forum ( I think) that someone else experienced the same but the smell only became apparent once they were dried. Anyone know if this is at all normal with prima Donna?

I'm hoping mine will develop a hoppy smell before they get picked.

I checked mine this morning (South Yorks) and they are definitely on the cusp of readiness - papery touch and sound, bract breaks cleanly, lots of lovely lupulin stuff within and a pretty strong smell. I've got them in my diary for Saturday, maybe even tomorrow if I'm around for half an hour when, and if it's dry.

A thought.... if hops are ready but you don't have time to harvest, would there be any harm / benefit in cutting the stems a little above ground level and leaving the hops to dry where they are?

A thought.... if hops are ready but you don't have time to harvest, would there be any harm / benefit in cutting the stems a little above ground level and leaving the hops to dry where they are?

I believe one of the things that degrades hops is light so you would be better off cutting and hanging them in a dark place.

Well the deed was done this morning. Only got just over a kilo ( half of last years yield), but very nice, fragrant and sticky hops.

Hi guys facing a problem here was just out checking my hops there the luplins are starting to develop on the cones that I have developed so far. I'm away on holidays next Friday for nearly three weeks do you think my hops will be ruined by then they are both first year plants good load of developed cones on them and some not developed yet any opinions advise much appreciated

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

To folks who dry their hops in a oven, even on low temp. I think its still too hot. This time of year you should be air drying at no more than 20oC
Ive always dried my hops in a airing cupboard @20oC with very good results
I don't know anything about drying hops but I found this on a website
"Well-ventilated oven: You can use your oven to dry your hops by spreading them out on a pan. You will need to make sure that you get adequate air flow through the oven, watching closely by checking on them at least every 20 minutes. The temperature should never exceed 140°F (60°C)"

Hi guys facing a problem here was just out checking my hops there the luplins are starting to develop on the cones that I have developed so far. I'm away on holidays next Friday for nearly three weeks do you think my hops will be ruined by then they are both first year plants good load of developed cones on them and some not developed yet any opinions advise much appreciated

Any advice on what I should do leaving Friday and not back till start of October will the cones that are nearly ready be ruined by then do you think

FAO,johnnyboy1965
Now I have took all the cones off my first year cascade from a rhizome in may can I cut it back and re pot it in a large flower pot in readiness for next spring,in the ground is out of the question,thinking on picking up some farm yard manure for it next week to replant

Latest posts

Back