Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my second year of centennial and cascade. I had a great crop last year. I think I am just going to let them do their own thing again this year.
I started with a Centennial, a Cascade and a Challenger. I got a crop from the first two in the first year, but only anything worth picking from the Challenger last year. Now the Challenger looks the strongest of the three.

Those are well ahead of mine Cwrw> I must look to my manuring.
No explanation as although we've had a lot of sun we've also had a lot of frosts which I thought the hops wouldn't like. Mind you our apple trees are starting to bloom and they don't seem to have been affected by the frosts either.

IMG_20210507_092302161.jpg
IMG_20210507_092330393.jpg

Photo of the cascade on 1st April:
IMG_3987.JPG

And then on the 17th April:
IMG_4045.JPG

Been growing pretty consistently since. I'll grab another photo this weekend for reference. I'm pretty impressed with them so far for first year growth.

Last year I planted cascade and centennial hops. However the labels have faded. They have now come back up again. One plant has more purplish bines and one is greener and growing faster. Can anyone who is growing these tell me which is which?

Attachments

• 18FBF931-6914-459A-B881-2A41B1446BFD.jpeg
    18FBF931-6914-459A-B881-2A41B1446BFD.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 55
  • 18236849-B648-4A51-9EB1-05500D8F8F01.jpeg
    18236849-B648-4A51-9EB1-05500D8F8F01.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 47
Planted hops for the first time this year - went a bit nuts and planted five different varieties: Cascade, Prima Donna, Fuggles, Calais Goldings, and Target...

Should I cut each one back to one, strongest shoot? I have several shoots through for each plant.

Hmmmmm. Here's my centennial planted last year. It's 6ft tall and must have at least 10 shoots. Was planning on just letting it do its thing, but now wondering if I should cut some of them out?
IMG_20210518_203234691.jpg

Me too. I have a Centennial and a Fuggle. Both in their third year. Centennial is looking good, Fuggle is going crazy. Must have a dozen or so bines on it now! I lost the care sheet that I got with them ☹️

I read somewhere that you got more sideshoots on the later sproutings and it's the side shoots that have the cones on. So they recommended cutting off the first ones, the weak ones or any that grow along the ground ( shoots are edible apparently ) but not obvious for first year plants, though rhizomes might be different so I'm confused. Time for a book reading.

Mine are about 2 meters now, both centennial and hallertau mittelfruh. Still ***** weather, 8c today and sideways rain because of blustery winds.

This is a first for me, I have a First Gold (Prima Donna). It's about 4' now and as its a first year I'm limiting it to 6 bines this year. I have found one thing though, I have just taken out a runner which was well rooted, and poking it's head up about 2' from the main root - it's now in a pot and growing away lovely. Next year it may be up for anyone who wants a bare-root plant. I'm growing this on a hedgerow system, we are in a windy location so its always a problem.

I, too, am getting worried about the spread of these things. It seems like the pernicious weed might be capable of taking over the entire garden.

Back