Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im afraid your support frame is no where near strong enough. In 2 months time when they are bigger a small gust of wind will bring it all down. 8ft fencing posts and washing line is better. are better

Yeah this is a bit of a last minute ditch effort to get something up to support them as I haven't had time to sort a proper frame out yet. We'll see how long it lasts!

This is my first go at growing hops. Planted them out in April and they took off like a rocket. The one closest is a Fuggle and the one at the back next to the water butt, climbing along the fence is a Progress. Its their first year so not expecting much of a crop but its great to see them grow so fast!!

Hops_zps9a5vuxty.jpg

So the hops are growing, but what's the deal with the side shoots, do you leave them or snip them off?

Totally underestimated the growth, no pics tonight but my hops are now over 3m tall and have had to string up a horizontal string work to keep the in check🤞

So the hops are growing, but what's the deal with the side shoots, do you leave them or snip them off?

Totally underestimated the growth, no pics tonight but my hops are now over 3m tall and have had to string up a horizontal string work to keep the in check������
I left them on last year and all was fine:thumb:

Hi this is my hop progress so far just wondering would it be okay stick couple bedding flowers in the pots beside the hopes or would that put hop plant under strain

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

I put a mint plant in with mine as its supposed to help with pests i believe and not stunted them in any way

Yeah I heard that alright I had mint in my flower bed last year for that. Reason and because me and the miss like a mojito from time to time as well lol.. Has to rip it out this year doh because it just was spreading everywhere stuck to my one in the pot... So I would assume a couple pansies or marigolds. Won't do any harm

I got a couple of cascades at the beginning of April, started them off in pots in the polytunnel and planted them out late in May. So far one is about 4 foot high and the other is still only about a foot and a half - so I think the 10 foot tripod I'm growing them up is going to be more than sufficient for the task. They look healthy though.

Secret Classified Report.
Groot and Ivanka Cascade hop plants, the story continues,,,

Oh bugger,,, my cross planting with nasturtiums didn't work. Tiny green caterpillars are scoffing my leaves and now I have found some aphids,,,,

Groot is doing much better than Ivanka at keeping the parasites at bay. Ivanka initially looked better, more fullsome, but it was all *hite glitz, and false promise. Alive, but not as honestly healthy and vigorous as Groot.

Calling in the bug spray troops and closing my borders as we speak!

My EKG got it's head removed somehow and didn't really grow more than a foot for several months then suddenly one of the shoots took off and started to climb, don't think I'm going to get anything from this this year but maybe next year.
My prima Donna however has spread allover the shed and has the start of some hop cones forming, not sure if these are going to develop enough to be useful this year, how is everyone else's doing?

IMG_20170810_113553050.jpg

My EKG got it's head removed somehow and didn't really grow more than a foot for several months then suddenly one of the shoots took off and started to climb, don't think I'm going to get anything from this this year but maybe next year.
My prima Donna however has spread allover the shed and has the start of some hop cones forming, not sure if these are going to develop enough to be useful this year, how is everyone else's doing?

My PD looks the same so I guess "we` may get enough hops for one brew, fingers crossed

:twisted:Found another THREE b@$ t..d caterpillars on my Fuggle today. Comma butterfly ones - dark brown & white, designed to look like a dollop of bird ****e.
I gave 'em an early flying lesson, they're living with the neighbours 3 doors away now...:thumb:

:twisted:Found another THREE b@$ t..d caterpillars on my Fuggle today. Comma butterfly ones - dark brown & white, designed to look like a dollop of bird ****e.
I gave 'em an early flying lesson, they're living with the neighbours 3 doors away now...:thumb:

I found them on my plant and they pretty much destroyed it in 12 hours.

I found them on my plant and they pretty much destroyed it in 12 hours.
as posted earlier I found 2/3 on my new baby centennial killing loads of leaves,moved the plant to a new location but leaves are still turning brown like they have been sprayed with fence preservative but the hop is still growing vertically,just hope that it survives this year and comes back stronger next year :oops:

IMG_20170812_130622[1].jpg

IMG_20170812_130630[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back