Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't give up just yet, we're not even at the official beginning of spring yet. Probably more of a problem is that they don't think they've had winter yet. They need 1 month, ideally 2 months, below 4-5C to break dormancy and I suspect that in urban areas in particular they may not have had that yet given the crazily mild winter.

They're temperate plants, they need to feel the seasons.

My two pots (a fuggles and a brewers gold) have both sprung up well.
I top dresses the pots with some 6x fertiliser. Have to go back through the thread to see how to train them this year (just let the grow as the felt last year). Think it is cut back all but 3 or 4 runners?

These brutes have some root system... reckon mine has spread a meter or more around the original root. It may be getting stuck in a pot

I planted these two Tettnanger a bit late in May last year. They grew quite well, but I didn't get a crop from them. Before the end of the summer they were attacked by spider mites.

However, they seem to have survived the winter and will hopefully be stronger this year. I also have a plan for dealing with the spider mites.

Attachments

• photo_2020-03-20_14-02-44.jpg
    photo_2020-03-20_14-02-44.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 156
I thought that the wet winter had killed the centennial crown I planted late last year. However, I saw this this morning - does it look like a shoot from the crown?
IMG_20200405_184104481.jpg

They seems to be going well in the pots - ones about 2ft the other 1ft. Have cut them back to 4 bines each and set up about 12ft trellis (hope that is enough are suppose to be dwarf versions). Just training them up that at the moment.
Think the worse issue I had last year was ensuring they got watered everyday.

oh and that the tags I put on the pots went missing so not sure which is which!

Last edited:
12ft trellis (hope that is enough are suppose to be dwarf versions).

The only dwarf hop that is widely available in the UK is First Gold aka Primadonna - everything else is full height, which generally means 20' plus in good conditions.

the tags I put on the pots went missing so not sure which is which!

Fuggles has green stems with red leaf stalks which is fairly distinctive - you need to wait for the stems to mature a bit though, the early growth tends to be just green.

Despite the dog's best efforts to dig it up my cascade plant has got this far already.
I'm thinking of hacking it all (or at least the long bits) back tomorrow.
20200411_132100.jpg

And ive just been working up a thirst getting the string up for this year's crop
20200411_132133.jpg

Hoping for a good crop again this year as I've got something a bit different planning for this year's green hop brew
acheers.

I planted these two Tettnanger a bit late in May last year. They grew quite well, but I didn't get a crop from them. Before the end of the summer they were attacked by spider mites.

However, they seem to have survived the winter and will hopefully be stronger this year. I also have a plan for dealing with the spider mites.

Since last post in this thread on March 23rd, I've upgraded the hop trellis, just in time as the plants have gone ballistic in the last week.

IMG_20200412_173024.jpg

IMG_20200412_173044.jpg

Primadonna started taking off this month. (West mids). Planted rhizome back last August as it was discounted. I have bigger pots but OH reckons they're more useful for the veg than one lone little shoot.
Domesticated house panther for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_151956.jpg
    IMG_20200416_151956.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 184
Primadonna started taking off this month. (West mids). Planted rhizome back last August as it was discounted. I have bigger pots but OH reckons they're more useful for the veg than one lone little shoot.
Domesticated house panther for scale.
My two Prima Donna are also in pots (not much bigger than your pot).
You will be surprised how many shoots one original rhizome can throw up once they get going. Even in my first year I got three strong shoots to train from each plant. This is their third year and I am slowly reducing from 20odd shoots on each to the strongest four. And last year I managed 4m long bines from plants which are supposedly only good for 3m.
And hops are hungry and thirsty. So since you have got yours in a pot keep it well watered, that's every day if possible, and I use Miracle Grow every two weeks until the burrs come along later in the year.

Delving into this post has given me a little inspiration! Notice that essentially hops have cascade and fuggles ready to go...Would I be able to cultivate now as I an mindful that March appears to be the cutoff...and if so what would be the best way to proceed with growing this spring? Thank you

I've noticed these marks on the leaves of my plants. Any ideas? Could it be mildew?

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_172738.jpg
    IMG_20200418_172738.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 158
Back