Hop regime/recommendations for a saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisD123

Reaction score
I have a few hop varieties available, planning a saison esque type brew next using pilsner, wheat and maybe some Vienna and possibly a drop of honey.
This is the hops I have

Challenger
Tettnang
Hallertau mittelfruh
saaz
perle
amarillo
jarrylo
Columbus
mandarina bavaria
magnum
fuggles
Ekg
Citra
Any suggestions on hopping would be most appreciated, I also have MJ M29 yeast....Thanks

You pretty much have 2 options from your list:
  1. One of your traditional/noble hops like Tettnang, Hallertau or Saaz
  2. A modern twist with citra

Personally I’d go with the citra, a citra saison can be a thing of beauty.

I agree with MickDundee, but I'll add a few more possible options:
  1. Mandarina Bavaria
  2. EKG
  3. Perle
I recently brewed one using Admiral for bittering, Styrian Golding and Saaz at 10mins and 0mins. It turned out pretty well.

I want the yeast to shine (this is my first attempt at a saison so any tips appreciated) but I would like a hint of citrus/orange without it being overpowering. if that makes sense...That said any suggestions would be welcome.

Whilst citra in a saison sounds great and worth trying one day, it's a powerful hop and can easily overpower the delicate yeast flavours. If you're doing a 23 litre brew, 20g saaz at 10 mins would be a good shout. It has lemon flavours which would work well.

A bit off topic but even 20g of crushed coriander seeds at 10 mins would give a citrus hint and blend with the yeast flavours well.

Whilst citra in a saison sounds great and worth trying one day, it's a powerful hop and can easily overpower the delicate yeast flavours. If you're doing a 23 litre brew, 20g saaz at 10 mins would be a good shout. It has lemon flavours which would work well.
I used 50g of citra in my first saison and I could barely pick out the citra for the yeast.

Funnily enough I bought some coriander seeds today....perhaps someone was trying to tell me something! Thanks for the suggestions...foodfor thought aplenty

I used 50g of citra in my first saison and I could barely pick out the citra for the yeast.
I guess it depends on context. 50g of citra can be overpowering when added late depending on other ingredients and water profile etc. Whenever I've used citra I've found it sticks out a lot.

FWIW, my 23L batch had 26g of Magnum for bittering and 38g of Celeia for aroma (Saaz from your list is similar, I believe). Best beer I've done so far, not good at describing flavours but it had a lot going on, as it where.

Regarding the orange flavour you're after, would fermenting the Saison yeast at a higher temperature, say 30°C, achieve that in the same way as it does with Kveik?

Back