Hop Spider or no Hop Spider

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Guybrush Threepwood, Oct 23, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 2, 2019 #41

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

I use a 300 micron hop spider and never had a real problem it probably does stop the full flavour but I have not noticed it that much. I stir mine a few times during the boil and wort does seem to flow through it easily enough as regards cleaning I tip it upside down in the bin then just back flush with a hose pipe easy. Maybe some people are being anal with the cleaning but as it dries any hop matter left will drop out with a tap or two and as it goes in the boil it will sterilise anything that may be left

2. Dec 2, 2019 #42

DCBC

DCBC

DCBC

As a matter of fact I have been having exactly the same concerns as the OP in recent months. I bought a couple of hop spiders for boil kettle additions and for dry hopping and my hop character has taken an absolute nosedive compared to muslin bags.

I have particularly noticed that the restriction of the movement of wort caused by the presence of the spider in the BK seems to cause the boil to appear not to happen within the spider itself - as if it lowers the overall temperature and/or boil vigour, leading to lower isomerisation and maybe preventing hop oils from entering the beer.

I have also noticed, when dry hopping in a spider, that within 24 hours the hops tend to start to float and then to pile up above the level of the beer as they rehydrate. Once stirred back into the beer they sink and then stay submerged, but again, I have had two pale ales and an IPA which have been very disappointing indeed.

It would be a shame not to use them having invested a few quid in them, but my temptation now would be to try going back to tossing hops in loose, and then either pouring the wort through the spider into the fermenter or ignoring them completely until I get to the bottom of it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Guybrush Threepwood likes this.
  3. Dec 2, 2019 #43

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

Looks like he has upped his hops from his older recipes
    Brew by James Morton is another that uses 300-600g of hops in most brews, a bit pricey mind you

4. Dec 2, 2019 #44

Braufather

Braufather

Braufather

Landlord.

5. Dec 2, 2019 #45

Braufather

Braufather

Braufather

Landlord.

James Morton seems to use most in a hop stand for most brews, more than dry hopping, I wonder is this to cut back on the oxygen risk when dry hopping big quantities?

6. Dec 2, 2019 #46

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

Maybe
    I’m usually short of oxygen when I work out the cost of 500g of a decent hop for 1 brew!

7. Dec 3, 2019 #47

LeeH

LeeH

LeeH

Landlord. Supporting Member

Yes, simple to clean and effective for kettle and dry hop pellets.

Just don’t fill them more than 1/3 full to reduce the effect talked about on here to a minimum.

8. Dec 3, 2019 #48

Braufather

Braufather

Braufather

Landlord.

so about 100g max then?

9. Dec 3, 2019 #49

Keruso

Keruso

Keruso

I've tried a few spiders and experienced problems with reduced hop flavour and aroma. It's a basic law of physics, if you restrict the ability of the hops to come into contact the wort then you can't expect the same effect as if you weren't using a spider. If I use more than 150g pellets in the boil my filter gets overloaded and I can't pump out the wort. Mangrove Jacks make a very large spider with larger mesh holes which allows good ciculation of the hops in the boil, some hop matter gets through but the majority is held. I use one when there's a lot of hops added to the boil. When dry hopping I chuck the pellets straight in because you get more aroma than using a mesh bag or spider. However you need to cold crash for a few days and use a hop spider as a filter when syphoning from the FV into secondary or keg etc.

10. Dec 3, 2019 #50

LeeH

LeeH

LeeH

Landlord. Supporting Member

That’s what I put in the larger ones during the boil. Dry hopping I just throw loose in normally as they settle out well in a conical.

11. Dec 3, 2019 #51

Braufather

Braufather

Braufather

Landlord.

i am going to attempt a closed transfer from my SS brew bucket, and want to avoid any debris getting in the keg ports, 300 g of hops- will probably put 150 grams in fermenter after a week and the other 150 in a purged keg. i'll need 4 of these by the look of it!

12. Dec 3, 2019 #52

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

Maybe I do not notice the difference when using a hop spider as I do not do massive hoppage at the front end (generally under 100g) and save my large drop for dry hopping using a muslim bag. Obviously if you are using a lot the hops will compact down and flow will be restricted I also stir to aid infusion