Hop spider or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Reaction score
I bought a new Mangrove Jacks Hop Spider and used it for the first time last weekend. I was surprised by how far “out” of the wort it was and I was concerned that it might inhibit the flow of wort around the hops.

I use it in a Grainfather G30; what’s the general opinion on them, use one or not?

I really wanted one as I thought they looked cool, but I had a big biab bag that I'd never used so I use that. I use mini bulldog clips to clip it to the top of my Klarstein (cheap all in one brewer) and then throw in a few marbles to weight it down. The hops seems well soaked in the wort and bubbles away nicely.

For dry hopping I just throw it in the fv. No spider or bags.

I've a hop spider and 'Sainsburys' reusable veg bags.

Use pellets, so the hop spider for bittering, then the bags for aroma.

Tried bags alone and spider alone, so last brew combo, not ready to sample yet, but using combo of both seems to be 'cleanest' ?

... or maybe I'm indecisive !

I’ve got a muslin bag I used to use for my hops in my extract brews; I like the idea of the Hop Spider for bittering and then the bag for aroma so will definitely give that a go for my next brew! 👍

I've stopped using mine which was only a home made job,I feared that there would be bits of pellet everywhere but there isn't...one thing less to clean! The bag I used to use has fell off the line and lives on the lawn now...

I've a hop spider and 'Sainsburys' reusable veg bags.

Use pellets, so the hop spider for bittering, then the bags for aroma.

Tried bags alone and spider alone, so last brew combo, not ready to sample yet, but using combo of both seems to be 'cleanest' ?

... or maybe I'm indecisive !
I've got both. In my opinion, the nylon bags are all you need even for big hop beers. The hop spider makes a good place for drying small brew bits and that's all I'll probably use it for now

I bought a new Mangrove Jacks Hop Spider and used it for the first time last weekend. I was surprised by how far “out” of the wort it was and I was concerned that it might inhibit the flow of wort around the hops.

I use it in a Grainfather G30; what’s the general opinion on them, use one or not?
I also have a GF G30 and bought a hopspider just after I bought the GF. Think I used the hopspider twice. I found it a pain to clean and just not convinced it saves time on clean up. Never had a blocked pump in 39 brews (to date) and I like the idea of the hops being properly immersed in the wort, with no doubt as to hop isomerization.

I’ve got one and use it with a BM, but I don’t hang it over the edge I stick further down wedged against against chiller

I use them for convenience but I'm convinced there is a drop-off in hop character compared to muslin bags etc. I make sure I give them a good stir in the BK, and occasionally in the fementer, which I know isn't ideal due to oxidation risk!

I also have a GF G30 and bought a hopspider just after I bought the GF. Think I used the hopspider twice. I found it a pain to clean and just not convinced it saves time on clean up. Never had a blocked pump in 39 brews (to date) and I like the idea of the hops being properly immersed in the wort, with no doubt as to hop isomerization.
Yeah, I must admit I'm also questioning whether it saves any time on the clean but my concern was more the blocked pump, as I'd read a few 'sub-optimal' reviews on that element. Interesting to hear 59 brews in and you've not had a problem. I think for my next brew (Biere de Garde) I'll try the hops straight in and see how the pump goes.

Yeah, I must admit I'm also questioning whether it saves any time on the clean but my concern was more the blocked pump, as I'd read a few 'sub-optimal' reviews on that element. Interesting to hear 59 brews in and you've not had a problem. I think for my next brew (Biere de Garde) I'll try the hops straight in and see how the pump goes.

You could always put one of these in your system. Then you could chuck hops in loose and not worry about them blocking the pump or making their way into the FV: Brew Builder. They're not cheap for what they are but this is probably the same sort of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-25-32...247838?hash=item41f6f6dd1e:g:x6UAAOSwsZhcLyOc
I have one but I haven't used it yet as I didn't have enough clamps. Hoping to try it out in the next brew. I'm also wondering if you could actually put hops in it and use it like a hop back during the whirlpool or between the BK and the FV.

Fundamentally though, they are little more than an enclosed hop spider, so if you're worried about the cleaning then this won't help you!

I have looked at the Hop Spider issue recently and the possible problems with both spiders and muslin bags etc. I thought perhaps if you could obtain or have made a hop spider that fits snugly inside the kettle then you can chuck all your hops into the entire volume of water but can still retrieve them after the boil.

You could always put one of these in your system. Then you could chuck hops in loose and not worry about them blocking the pump or making their way into the FV: Brew Builder. They're not cheap for what they are but this is probably the same sort of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-25-32...247838?hash=item41f6f6dd1e:g:x6UAAOSwsZhcLyOc
I have one but I haven't used it yet as I didn't have enough clamps. Hoping to try it out in the next brew. I'm also wondering if you could actually put hops in it and use it like a hop back during the whirlpool or between the BK and the FV.

Fundamentally though, they are little more than an enclosed hop spider, so if you're worried about the cleaning then this won't help you!
Yeah, that's a bit more than I'll be looking to spend for the foreseeable, having spent a fair bit updating my kit already, but good to know that's an option in the future. athumb..

Personally, if the Hop Spider had a hinged lid and simply sat 'free' inside the boiler that would be better IMO, but maybe that could cause other issues that I can't think of ATM? Alternatively, the 'hook' that the Hop Spider hangs onto the side with should be extendable, so the Hop Spider could be moved up or down to keep it fully submerged in the wort, depending on your boil volume.

I have the MJ hop spider also and agree it's a pain to clean. I stopped using it but then had a blocked pump so started to use it again. I like the ease of use that it provides and sits in my all in one OK.

Bought a hop spider a few months back, and now use it in every brew. Haven't noticed any difference in hop taste, bitterness or aroma, but much easier to clean than the nylon bag I was using previously. Definitely a worthwhile addition.

I have a GF and use a MJ hopspider, but only with a 19-23 L brew. With a small batch there's not enough of the hopspider hanging in the wort.
As for cleaning I just rinse it out with hot water after
disposing of the used hops and following that I use a compressed air tool to blow it clean and dry.

My hop spider, which I used once, sits on the defunct shelf with my overflow pipe, top screen and whirlpool arm.
Brewed a Citra Pale Ale without the spider and brewed again with the spider, definitely impedes the hop flavour/aroma.
Throw in loose and they end up stuck in the cone from the whirlpool along with hot break.

I use one as well to prevent blockages which happen all the time when I throw in loose. Throughout the boil or hopstand I will stir it up with a stainless spoon, that definitely helps with the hop flavours and aroma.

I think you will need some kind of prefiltering or separation before that. As a final stage filter it'll work, but don't expect to separate all the pellet and trub out.

Back