Hop Spider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Here is a dumb novice question
If using a Hop Spider, how or when or indeed can you use an immersion chiller?

When I used a hop spider I had no problem putting the immersion chiller beside it in the boil kettle.

What kind of brew system are you using?

I'm not yet, but looking at boiling with one of these Füllhorn Mash kettle so it may be a bit narrow
With you now.

I use a 30l boil kettle on gas burner and was plenty big enough for both.

To be honest though I ended up ditching the hop spider as I found it to be having a detrimental effect on hop profiles in my brews. There is a thread on it in here somewhere.

I acquired one and used it for the first time for late additions. I put they main hops in a Sainsbury's fruit and veg bag. I had to remove the hop spider to make room for the immersion chiller and I imagine that's the only way you can manage it.

If it's a mash kettle, will you be boiling your wort in it or is it an all-in-one system?
No its not all in one, initially I will brew extract, but hope soon to move on to AG in which case my thinking is to mash with the malt in a bag, then sparge, then remove the bag and use it for the boil without the bag. Its a bit long but there is a video of it being used this way here Video

I use a frame type spider with a clipped on bag...I can get my chiller into the boiler easily...as the bag squashed up a bit. My frame is home made but you can buy them.

Thats a good idea, another thought is if I get a wide enopugh spider I should be able to get a chiller that would fit inside of it, maybe

Get rid of the spider and utilise the hops to their full extent, the oils have to be driven off in the boil leaving the alpha acids behind. I have tried a hop spider once and given that it was a beer I had made many times before there was a noticeable difference in the finished beer.

Get rid of the spider and utilise the hops to their full extent, the oils have to be driven off in the boil leaving the alpha acids behind. I have tried a hop spider once and given that it was a beer I had made many times before there was a noticeable difference in the finished beer.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't have any experience top do so but if a large enough hop spider is immersed in the boil with the hops in, then why would the oils not be driven off the same way? I can see that being so if using a small spider or a muslin bag but if the spider is almost as big as the kettle? Another point of view though and certainly something I will consider, I suppose whether I use one would depend on if I have any blocked valve issues.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't have any experience top do so but if a large enough hop spider is immersed in the boil with the hops in, then why would the oils not be driven off the same way? I can see that being so if using a small spider or a muslin bag but if the spider is almost as big as the kettle? Another point of view though and certainly something I will consider, I suppose whether I use one would depend on if I have any blocked valve issues.
Believe me you won't get a blocked valve, I use a helix to get the wort out and leave everything else behind. But if you are prepared to wait a few hours before filling the fermenter you will get crystal clear wort, you will loose a couple of litres but. Or empty the kettle into a large jug the trub will drop and the beer will be on the top. You can give that a quick boil and add it to the fermenter (within 12 hours) without a problem, or save it to make a starter.
Depends on the microns of the spider and if you are getting a good boil within it whether you are getting full utilisation of the hops.

Thats a good idea, another thought is if I get a wide enopugh spider I should be able to get a chiller that would fit inside of it, maybe
Or, as in my case, the spider fits inside the chiller coils. Not that I use the spider much at all anymore. Found it more trouble than it is worth.

I've always used a spider,removing it towards the end of chilling,then when down to temp,I remove the chiller then leave the boiler and clean up while the break material settles. I get very little transfer to the fv as the bazooka furs up and acts as a primary filter.
If I ditched the spider would the hop particles settle just as well as the break material?

@foxy So when you say "Wait a few hours before filling fermenter" do you mean after the boil do your runoff (or whwtever its called) and then let it sit in the kettle for a few hours before draining to the fermenter? What is a helix?

My spider bag sort of just fits in anywhere with the chiller...the bags are rinsed after use and left pegged on the line outside...the boil sterilised them.
My next brew I might not use it and see how I get on...

So...those that don't use a spider....does the hop (I use pellets) material settle out well enough for it not to be pulled through in any great amounts?

So...those that don't use a spider....does the hop (I use pellets) material settle out well enough for it not to be pulled through in any great amounts?
Pretty much all of the pellets end up in the trub in my experience.

Latest posts

Back