Hop Spider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@foxy So when you say "Wait a few hours before filling fermenter" do you mean after the boil do your runoff (or whwtever its called) and then let it sit in the kettle for a few hours before draining to the fermenter? What is a helix?
001.JPG
001.JPG

007.JPG

If you haven't got a helix filter then letting the everything settle for a few hours will get the same result. I have cooled my wort down and left it in the kettle overnight if I have brewed in the afternoon. Just wrapped the kettle in cling wrap as it is sterile.

Okay, I will try that, just not seemed it mentioned on any of the YT videos, they all seem to chill to temperature and drain off to fermenter.

During my normal brew day I let it settle for about half hour while I clean up,this is enough to stop the break material as it mostly drops out below the filter. I’m going to try without the bag next time.

During my normal brew day I let it settle for about half hour while I clean up,this is enough to stop the break material as it mostly drops out below the filter. I’m going to try without the bag next time.
I noticed a significant return to form after ditching the hop spider. Hopefully bagless goes well for you 👍

Looks like I will need to experiment a bit, whats to stop the siphon from picking up sediment, does it really drop through the filter?

Everything (I hope) is ordered now so it's just a matter of waiting on the deliveries and having my first go at my first brew.

..the Syphon bit only applies to dry hop though..I'm thinking of hop additions in the boil and draw off via the tap to fv..
Edit... obviously it applies to both!!

@Clint This brings me back to my OP, so does the chiller fit inside of your Spider? Otherwise how do you sterilise with the boil?
With the Klartein system you mention you don't need the hop spider and the chiller to sit in the kettle at the same time. You can use a spider during the boil (mixed opinions on that) at flame out, during a hop stand etc. When you need to sterilize the chiller towards the end of the boil, lift out the spider, pop in the chiller, give it 5 mins or so, then take it out and put the spider back in if you need to.

Back