Hop Suggestions for fruitiness in IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I am going to make a IPA with Chinook and Centennial but want a third hop that will give me a really fruity finish but not too much of the grapefruit as in Citra, your suggestions please.
Ps I will be doing equal amounts

There are lots including Mosaic, Cascade (though you already have centennial), Amarillo, Ariana, Callista, Ahtanum, BRU-1, Galaxy, Azzaca, El Dorado, Idaho-7, Mandarin Bavaria, Vic Secret, …

Maybe also think about how you want to use them - lower alpha acids means you can use lots more without excessive bitterness. Not so much an issue for dry hopping.

I also believe the hopstand is a big hitter when it comes to longer lasting hop aroma and flavour.

Hi I am going to whirlpool with a smaller dry hop so I can cram loads in
Thought of Ahtanum as it is more or less the Japuir I believe also Amarillo and El Dorado which I have never used so any thoughts on that if anybody has used it

Hi I am going to make a IPA with Chinook and Centennial but want a third hop that will give me a really fruity finish but not too much of the grapefruit as in Citra, your suggestions please.
Hi I am going to whirlpool with a smaller dry hop so I can cram loads in
Thought of Ahtanum as it is more or less the Japuir I believe also Amarillo and El Dorado which I have never used so any thoughts on that if anybody has used it

Well...most people would consider Citra the archetypal "fruity" hop as opposed to the old-style hops like Chinook and Centennial which are considered grapefruity, and Ahtanum is also grapefruity.

For "fruity" you want the modern (ie post-Citra) varieties, particularly the Aus/NZ ones which are rich in thiols - aside from the really cool kids like Riwaka and Nectaron which are hard to find, it sounds like you want something like Eclipse or Vic Secret.

Yeah, El Dorado could work, Amarillo is perhaps rather old-school in comparison.

Also don't forget yeast's influence on hop flavour - strains like T-58 and 1318 can turn the grapefruit of Chinook into a more limey flavour.

Of course, all the cool kids are now doing things like mash-hopping to release thiols from the likes of Saaz, you get much better release of thiols in the mash than in whirlpool, so you could try something like 7g/l of Saaz in the mash....

https://scottjanish.com/the-locksmi...hops-and-phantasm-powder-to-thiol-drive-beer/
1658324931929.png

(this experiment was an early one using Chinook, which is now known to be a less good choice for thiols from mash hopping.3SH is the new name for the thiol formerly known as 3MH)

Latest posts

Back