Hop Tea Addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
I am mainly brewing kits which turn out quite nice and I have been dry hopping after fermentation has finished a few days before bottling. This has been ok but I would like to try a different way of hopping the kits.

I was thinking of making a hop tea and adding it the start of fermentation so the questions are - will the yeast kill off the hop flavour and if not would it be much different in taste from dry hopping - also would you use more hops in the tea than dry hopping.

Thanks all

Dave

I am mainly brewing kits which turn out quite nice and I have been dry hopping after fermentation has finished a few days before bottling. This has been ok but I would like to try a different way of hopping the kits.

I was thinking of making a hop tea and adding it the start of fermentation so the questions are - will the yeast kill off the hop flavour and if not would it be much different in taste from dry hopping - also would you use more hops in the tea than dry hopping.

Thanks all

Dave

I'd add the hop tea at the end of fermentation or during bottling. The process of fermentation is sure to drive off some aroma/flavour compounds hence people usually dry hopping after the beer has fermented out. That's not to say that adding a hop tea during fermentation is a terrible idea though, just that it will yield different results. You should experiment yourself and see what you like. Maybe a hop tea during fermentation and a dry hop addition will get you where you want? Maybe a hop tea during bottling is more the flavour you're after? Only you can know and you'll find out with experimenting.

Another thing to note is that hop teas extract a bit more bitterness than dry hopping (not a huge amount but some), so bear that in mind.

Back