Hop tea in corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an IPL about to finish up and about to transfer to corny for conditioning. I was assuming I would dry hop it, but that could mean leaving hops in there for a potentially long time, not ideal.

Making a hop tea and putting that into the corny before racking on top would reduce oxygen and means I could serve directly from that one when ready.

My question really is, how effective would this be? Would I need a higher or lower charge of hops if I went with a steep for 1/2 hour at 80C? Have I missed something?

I should point out I ferment in a corny as well, so dry hopping in the primary would undo all of the oxygen reduction care I have put in place.

I may be totally wrong (I often am) but a hop tea will provide more in the way if bittering, rather than the aroma you get from a dry hop.

You could get a corny spider and just put it in for a few days, but if you've not yet put in the corny I'd just throw in your fv now. Dry hopping will only take 2 or 3 days, then into the corny to condition ;)

Hop tea in a corny, I know, I know it’s serious!
tumblr_mgspa8cRO31rdz9oao1_500.gif

Has fermentation finished? If not, then add dry hops to the corny. The blanket of co2 should be enough to keep away the oxygen. If it has finished, then you could add the dry hops and immediately flush the fermenter with co2. I also ferment in a corny and I'm not sure I'd be going down the route of the hop tea unless it was a well practiced method.

Since switching to fermenting in a corny and closed transfers, my beers have improved vastly. Or at least their shelf life has. We can only do our best to keep the oxygen out.

Has fermentation finished? If not, then add dry hops to the corny. The blanket of co2 should be enough to keep away the oxygen. If it has finished, then you could add the dry hops and immediately flush the fermenter with co2.
Sound advice, thanks.

Yeah d rest compete and cooled down to begin conditioning and dropping clear.

Since switching to fermenting in a corny and closed transfers, my beers have improved vastly. Or at least their shelf life has. We can only do our best to keep the oxygen out.
Couldn't agree more, the only duds I've had have been trying to bottle beer from them. Just got a gun though so hopefully things should begin to get better

Man, a corny cap and a length of beer line would have cost you less than a tenner and done a better job. Not that I have used a beer gun but I have heard nothing but bad reviews about them.

Latest posts

Back