Hop tea versus dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop tea versus dry hopping

• Total voters

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
So why and which is the best tea cos all the flavour is there to stay or does 48 to 72 hours of a dry hop succeed the same flavour

In my experience hop teas last longer, and dry hop impact slowly disappears with time and is more or less gone after four months. Nor sure what happens if you use massive quantities of hops as in a NEIPA.

I was thinking of using a French press normally used for coffee to squeeze all the happiness out and dumping in but not sure when to dump early or late in fermentation

I did a split batch where one had a dry hop, the other a hop tea early in the ferment, the other a day before bottling. The early hop tea was a waste of time. I liked the flavour of the dry hop more than the hop tea as earlier on it was fruitier and fresher. As the months went on they kinda merged. Tests were from April to December so a fair old shout. I'd definitely try the same experiment again but not bother with the early tea.

I do both & dry hop just as the Krausen is falling then 3 days before bottling. I find my hop heavy beers really shine. It might not be text book but it works for me & the flavour as well as aroma seems to last.

Just got a MYO Lager Kit under way. It has a Dry Hop sachet and an instruction to introduce it to the FV at Day 7.

Not being a fan of Dry Hopping, I’ve decided to use the hops from the kit to make a litre of Hop Tea (starting at +70*C and going down to ambient) and introduce +/-500ml to each 10 litre keg when I syphon off the brew.

Any negative thoughts on the method?
:hat:

Is a hop tea the same as a 0min hop steep at the end of the boil? I always do the latter, I used to dry hop too but it tasted the same and I got some bottle gushers with dry hopping, there was a thread on this topic some time ago, so I only steep hops now.

Is a hop tea the same as a 0min hop steep at the end of the boil?
…..
Not really.

The +/-70*C of the Hop Tea is meant to ensure that there is no added “bitterness” to the brew; whereas the “end of boil” addition will add ‘some’. (The ‘some’ being an indeterminate amount!:D)

My idea behind the Hop Tea, is to just get the hop aroma; hopefully without the potential problems associated with Dry Hopping.

Hi everyone!

I will make a experiment in my next batch. It will be a splited batch, 18 L each, one I will add all the hops in a hop tea (7 L) and stand at 90C for 30 min. In the other one, same thing, but few days before bottling. 95 g of CTZ each, 3.8 g/L.

I didn't find anything like this on internet, do you have some thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I will make a experiment in my next batch. It will be a splited batch, 18 L each, one I will add all the hops in a hop tea (7 L) and stand at 90C for 30 min. In the other one, same thing, but few days before bottling. 95 g of CTZ each, 3.8 g/L.

I didn't find anything like this on internet, do you have some thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!
I've never used hop teas, so looking forward to the results!

do you have some thoughts or ideas
Get someone else to serve them to you blind so as not to prejudice your tasting.

I use an angel hop rocket with 200g T90's /100L and add 500ml 70*c to soften the T90's. Then circulate to the FV for 10mins @ 6*C. Aroma is stronger than DH, but the remains still smell gorgeous🥰 So freezing and gonna re-use. Any thoughts how to improve aroma extraction? 🤔

……. Any thoughts how to improve aroma extraction? 🤔
Short of operating under a vacuum, I guess that:
  • selecting hops with a known high level of aroma oils,
  • keeping the temperature low during the mash,
  • mashing for a longer period, and,
  • repeating the process with the same hops (literally “double dipping”).
Would improve the extraction of aroma oils.

Would there be any benefit to makeing a tea and then chucking the whole lot into the secondary (tea and hops in strainer) to leave as dry hop?

Would that extract more flavour than dry hop alone ( added heat of making tea) but benefit of being left in with yeast ( sure I read somewhere this helped extraction or flavour or aroma)

Hi everyone!

Thanks!
Also did we see a result from this please?

Also did we see a result from this please?
Hi! Yes, I changed a bit the strategy. I was afraid about ending with 50l of underbittered beer, so instead of 2 batches of 25l, I made 3. 1 of 25l and 2 of 7l. The biggest one, normal hopstand. For the other two. 5l of wort plus 2l of hopstand hop tea (?). Boiled filtered water in a pan with lid, turn flame out and added hops (100C), in a hopbag. 30 min, then cooled it. One before fermentation, and other just before bottling. A lot of work involved...

So... The hop tea beer smells and tastes just like the hop pellet. And was bitter as the software predicted. And I can't tell they apart! If there's a difference, neither me, my wife, my brother our my mother notice.

In the other hand, the normal hopstand beer, have less aroma and a different flavour. Like others I did. Maybe, just maybe, because the lid in the pan. It was closed all the time and condensate the vapour inside while in the fridge. So, because of boiling points, I suggest it retains myrcene. It matches with differences between beers and myrcene's characteristics. Anyway, I preferred the normal hopstand beer. Other people didn't like myrcene too, look for dip hoping.

Or was because I did the hopstand in water. Who knows?

Anyway, it works. If you want to increase bitterness and/or flavour in a beer, you can make a hopstand tea, and add at any point of fermentation.

Recipe, I divided in two, because of water addition.

First, the normal hopstand. Scaled from 25l to 36l, because of process. Was the base beer.

The inverted sugar stands for priming sugar.

17th Columbus SMASH!.png

Hopstand tea beer as both test beer. In the end, the status was the same.

17th Columbus SMASH! Test.png

What you think about it?

Makes sense.

thanks for reply. Guess I will have to do something similar and just try both on a batch and see what the local critics say.

Busy weekend ahead......cheers

Back