Hop tea vs boil addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uDicko

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've searched around a fair bit before posting here. I can't seem to find my answer though (might simply being thick)

I'm planning a split batch over a number of demijohns to try out various hops, but I don't want to boil and mash various small batches to do it.

I've settled on doing hop teas for the aroma instead of flameout / 0 min additions.

I would normally add a 15 min addition for the 'flavour' part but wondering if the same can be achieved with various hop teas in substitute.

So I would make a full length brew with bittering hop in boil to spec and then add hop tea(s) at point of wort transfer to respective demijohns.

Is this possible ? If so how do I need to prepare the hop teas to get a 15 min and 0min addition equivalent but over multiple demijohns?

Cheers

I think you are over-engineering this one.

Suggest doing a 5 gallon batch with bittering hop only and putting it in 5 separate demijohns. I don't suppose adding a 15 min to the 5 gallon batch is going to harm the outcomes, but the 5 split will have the same hop(s) for 15m. Won't tell you much about which hop you prefer, though.

Add a different dry hop or hop tea to each one after a couple of days, post initial vigorous ferment, to retain as much aroma as is feasible.

Latest posts

Back