hop tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apl_seed

Reaction score
Does a hop tea give better results than traditional dry hop? Havin a little trouble getting a nice bright, fresh taste n aroma on my pale ales.

Does a hop tea give better results than traditional dry hop? Havin a little trouble getting a nice bright, fresh taste n aroma on my pale ales.

I used a french press with simcoe citra and cascade pellets. Added the hop tea to the brew, then put the hop mush into a hop sock and put that in too, excellent result, fantastic flavour.

Thanks for the info. Any sanitation before putting the tea in the secondary? Boiling for 10 minutes? How about putting the tea into the keg while its carbonating for a week or so?

depends as to wether you keg or bottle.do a hop tea and chuck the spent hops in with it in an infuser or muslin sock if you do it in the FV just before the fermentation dies away or even in the keg but just for bottles the tea in the FV before bottling,no boiling of them either 70C at the most for 20/30 minutes

My usual way of doing a hop tea is to boil a pan of water, turn off the heat for 10min to allow the temp to drop to around 80C and then steep for 30mins. Sometimes I dry hop as well too, although I'm still not completely convinced of the difference between the two techniques.

I've never done a hop tea before, is the idea to add this tea after fermenting just before bottling?

I'm on my 3rd ever brew and thought I'd experiment with a hop tea- added 2 x 20g amarillo bags to a Wherry, I'm going to leave it in for 3 days before bottling. The sample jar I tasted was much improved for adding the hops, I just hope the flavours don't fade. Will report back!

Newby question here. Is a "hop tea" as it sounds? Basically I make a brew with hops instead of tea leaves??

Back