Hope advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
Just in the middle of the my boil, making strong dark winter ale, chocolate malt, caramalt, roasted barley and and pale malt. my bittering hops are styrian golding and i usually add more of these or challenger at the end of the boil.
Ive run out of both for the late addition.
Ive got Simcoe, Magnum and Summit. Should i just leave it with the hops i added at the begging of the boil or add some of these add the end.
What do you reckon?
Thanks

I have regularly used Magnum as a bittering hop, from what I have read it provides little in terms of flavour and aroma. Simcoe and Summit both have citrus (grapefruit) tones, not necessarily suited to your winter ale. I would be tempted to leave the late addition out and dry hop with something suitable towards the end of primary fermentation.

I agree with MmmBeer, in that there is usually very little point in adding aroma hops to a strong dark beer. If you do so, then they want to be big - like Simcoe, Citra etc. Magnum is mainly used for bittering and I have never used Summit.

Used summit for bittering. Tried a little once as a late addition with some other hops and it was not the most pleasant taste. Some think it can have an onion taste, I'd agree.

Back