Hopeless Newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am brand new to homebrewing and I am just trying to decipher exactly what I'll need. It's starting to feel like the more I read, the less I understand. I had no idea that brewing was such a science/art until very recently. I know that there are a few of these posts, so forgive me for repeating it, but they all seem to have different outcomes.

I am thinking about buying a Brew Monk 30l all-in-one system, but it seems like there's a lot more to think about too. I just wondered if anybody would be able to shed a little bit of light on the situation? I think I will need everything listed below, but if I am missing things, or if I am buying unnecessary things, please let me know.

• A hop spider.
  • A thermometer.
  • A fermentation fridge. I will be doing this in my cellar which is obviously quite cold at this time of year. I'm guessing these are just small fridges that people alter so that they do both heat and cold so that temperature can be easily regulated, without having to do it for the whole room? I have found a guide online on how to do this.
  • A plastic fermentation bucket.
  • Cleaning equipment. I'm still not entirely sure on what needs to be disinfected, or when, but I'll do more digging into that when I dive in.
  • Bottles.
  • Siphon for bottling.
Any advice on my little shopping list would be massively appreciated.

Cheers,
Eddie

My opinion is that you should start simple, with minimal capital outlay and learn the basics, and also get an idea of what you want to do before you start. You don't need a hop spider and you don't need a fridge in the middle of winter. What you do need is a sound, basic book on homebrewing and give it a good read. I'd recommend Graham Wheeler, or failing that, Greg Hughes. Keep it simple to start with and try to understand the process.

Hi Eddie, you need to add to your list a water heater (for the sparge) unless you're doing BIAB, a paddle (spoon), maybe a temperature controller if you are getting a fridge (fridge not necessary as said by AA). Everything needs sanitising before it touches or is going to touch your wort/beer. You may need a brew belt/pad? (to keep it at around 20°C). Have you considered doing a few kits to learn the basics first as the gear you buy for that will be needed when you go AG so not wasted money.

In addition to AA's comments

You will need a hydrometer to check the specific gravity at start and end of fermentation

A lot depends on what type of beer you want to brew

I always ferment at around 20C ish - so my issue is keeping it warm not cold

Lager fermentation needs to be cold - anything else does not. I do not brew lager but ales, stouts, IPAs etc. I do not have a fridge in any part of my brewing and conditioning process

You will hear a lot about the need to cold crash - in my view that achieves nothing that time alone won't. So that's something else you will need i.e. patience

In terms of sterilisation, remember that for 1000s of years no one drank water - they drank beer - everyone men, women and children - why was that?

Because there was no such a thing as clean, safe drinking water.

People drank beer because it had been boiled for an hour or longer - so it was sterilised. In home brewing cleanliness is next to godliness, but the key areas to watch is everything after the boil

Start by establishing a good cleaning routine

As a starter a boiler and a fermentation vessel would do - no need to shell out hundreds at this stage

Good luck!

The thing is, Eddie, the reason I recommend a book, is that, there, you'll get a coherent and systematic overview of the process and its requirements by a practising home brewer, whereas, here, you're going to get bits and pieces from various members sometimes conflicting, but often "and don't forget this", but not a "here's how you set out, these are the stages, and here's what you're going to need". It must be thus, otherwise we'd be putting a book together rather than participating in a forum.

Hi, all the above, i came back to home brew in 2019 after a 30 year break, i started with a 70 pound kit, brew bucket pressure barrel temp probe hydrometer syphon tube, i did kits for a year they make really nice drinkable beer, then i bought a 30L kettle and do biab and make really nice beer most of the time, i still don't have a fridge but this year i will get one and a few corny kegs and gas, bottling is a pita, my advice start simple learn all you can, all the gear you start with is still usable later acheers.

Last edited:
Wow, cheers guys. Some great advice already!

I will definitely invest in a book. Like AA said, there’s so much out there so a strong knowledge of the basics would be a massive help I think.

I’ll forget the spider too and just chuck the hops in! Really excited to get going with it!

Wow, cheers guys. Some great advice already!

I will definitely invest in a book. Like AA said, there’s so much out there so a strong knowledge of the basics would be a massive help I think.

I’ll forget the spider too and just chuck the hops in! Really excited to get going with it!
http://www.howtobrew.com/

I'd echo most of the above. I have made plenty of beer, and I don't even know what a hop spider is! (I can guess, though)

For sure a hydrometer is an essential. I'd also recommend a selection of measuring jugs, washing-up bowls, etc, that you keep just for brewing purposes alone. And plenty of plastic food-grade tubing for siphoning and a decent-sized pot of sterilising powder.

Rather than just throwing the hops in i use a muslin bag and tie the cord to the handle of my brew vessel ,same result but less mess in the bottom of my vessel.

I’ll forget the spider too and just chuck the hops in!
Be aware that if your all in one has a pump then it will get clogged if you don't use some sort of filter (hop spider/muslin bags) been there done it unfortunately.
hop spiders are a waste of time IMO and a PITA to clean with pellet hops.

Really easy way to clean a hop spider is to empty the contents with the spent grain and then blast it with a hose.

Be aware that if your all in one has a pump then it will get clogged if you don't use some sort of filter (hop spider/muslin bags) been there done it unfortunately.

Really easy way to clean a hop spider is to empty the contents with the spent grain and then blast it with a hose.
Oh I know but they are still a PITA and also retain hop content.Try lifting one out and recirculating through it with 100g hops before flameout to see what happens.

Yeah get a book..the GH is a great start..even though it's vessels not an all in one system.
A colleague has just bought an all in one and absolutely loves it! He's well on form after a few brews.
You'll soon get the hang of it!

Im a newbie myself, my only advice would be to avoid plastic pressure barrels (which it sounds like you’re doing). Bottle and/or corny keg all the way. I know plenty of folk get on with them but from my limited experience the PBs are just too compromised in terms of sealing, charging and pouring.

Last edited:
Welcome Eddie, to the all-enveloping hobby that is homebrewing!

I am fairly new to brewing and even more so to all-grain brewing, but as everyone else said, kits, kits and kits. They really are the springboard into beer brewing and help you refine your technique. Also, there are some great deals on starter kits that have everything you need.

One thing I did find helpful while transitioning into all-grain, not sure if many may agree, was doing small BIAB 5 L brews. It enabled me to brew every week for a few months, trying out many different styles without the commitment to drink ~20 L of them and helped me refine and have a better understanding of each step of the brewing process. Not only was it great fun, quicker turn around and interesting, but it was a cheaper outlay for equipment until I knew I wasn't turning back.

I found an 11 L stockpot and brewing bag was the only additional equipment on top of what I had for kits (also had a demijohn or two). Also, the stockpot fitted perfectly in the oven giving me a more stable temperature than I can achieve now on my all in one :laugh8:.

But keep us posted on how it goes!

Latest posts

Back