Hopping for a yeast comparison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
After a few successful split batches where I've used a British yeast and a Belgian yeast I now want to compare Wyeast 1469 and 1728 so West Yorkshire vs Scottish. I came across a tasty sounding Scottish 60/- recipe on the beer and brewing site which is a malty 3.5% ale so should be a fairly good canvas for the yeast to show. But at 16 IBUs and no late hops I will be missing out on seeing how the yeast affect the hop perception but maybe that's better kept for a second comparison?

Any thoughts?

I've used both those yeasts several times each. They are very different and I have my favourite for sure. I'd recommend a balanced bitter as a benchmark brew that does have some late British hops.

I've used both those yeasts several times each. They are very different and I have my favourite for sure. I'd recommend a balanced bitter as a benchmark brew that does have some late British hops.
I've been reusing the West Yorkshire for about 2 and a half years now, keep wondering if I should revert back to a fresh pack but it still makes good beer. I've used the scottish ale a few times but never on my best brews for one reason or another, including my only infected batch.

What would you do with regards to temperature? I ferment West Yorkshire between 18-20c depending on style and how clean I want it. Scottish tends to be mid-teens to keep it clean, Wyeast say it gives esters when warmer but can never find any actual feedback online from people using it warm.

I could brew my bitter which is essentially the Greg Hughes recipe with flaked barley instead of wheat, the late first gold is nice but restrained.

Latest posts

Back