Hoppy Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
As the title says i want to brew a hoppy amber ale but don't know much about the style. Can anyone recommend any commercial beers easily available . Would love to know if anyone has brewed one and what recipes they used. I probably have all the malts. Pale, extra pale, amber and crystal amber but unsure of how much amber to use.

Ill second this as id love to make a clone of st peters ruby red. Im only assuming this is an amber beer.
Im lost trying to find any recipe on one.
Crystal rye? For colour bit of crystal malt for caramalisation..

I was real happy with how this turned out.
Three S amber ale, 3 gallons (11.4 L)
O G 1.055 F G 1.008, 43 IBUs
6 lbs. (2.73 kg) pale ale malt
8 ozs. (224 g) vienna malt
8 ozs. (224 g) carawheat malt
8 ozs. (224 g) crystal 60 malt
Mash at 154° F (67.7° C) at a 1.5 quarts (1.4 L) to 1 pound (.45 kg) ratio of strike water (3.1 L/kg) for 45 minutes.
.75 oz. (21 g) saphir @ 3.8% to first wort hop
.125 oz. (3.5 g) summit @ 14.2% plus
.125 oz. (3.5 g) simcoe @ 12.2% plus
.75 oz. (21 g) saphir @ 3.8% for 45 minutes
pinch irish moss for 15 minutes
.125 oz. (3.5 g) summit @ 14.2% plus
.75 oz. saphir @ 2.5% for 6 minutes
.125 oz. summit plus
.75 oz. saphir to steep
S-05
3 ozs. (84 g) corn sugar to prime

Crisp amber malt> 27° L. Made from ale malt. Warm, pleasant, biscuit flavor with coffee undertones. This is a versatile malt for the all grain or partial mash brewer. Try a 1/2 lb. In a nut brown or red ale.

Hss anyone use carared before? I found a bag of it last night.

@BeerisGOD I am fairly sure i looked for a clone recipe of the ruby red but i never found one. I do remember them saying they use lots of English hops in their beers. I remember hearing about Boadicea but not as yet tried it.

@MrRook Thanks for the recipe. Its interesting it has no amber malt in it. I took it for granted it would have it. What are saphir hops like?

Hoppy amber ale?
What like Bitter?
I was assuming he meant along the lines of 5AM Saint, Pistonhead Full Amber or Williams Bros Pavlov’s Dog but I was hoping others would make suggestions first in case I was completely wrong.

I’ve done the 5am saint, very hoppy and a nice deep red colour. Would recommend it. The recipe is available from punk if you google it.

As the title says i want to brew a hoppy amber ale but don't know much about the style. Can anyone recommend any commercial beers easily available . Would love to know if anyone has brewed one and what recipes they used. I probably have all the malts. Pale, extra pale, amber and crystal amber but unsure of how much amber to use.

How hoppy are you thinking? I have an American amber ale recipe that did pretty well in competition.

Very kind of you Dan. I don't know anything about the style but was guessing would be between 30 and 40IBU. If its higher i would not mind.

Yep it was 30 IBUs (not allowing any IBUs for post boil additions) but had a lot of post boil/dry hops for a good hoppy flavour/aroma. I didn't use any amber malt either.
This was my best scoring comp entry to date at 36 out of 50 which was enough to bag a gold medal in a less competitive category.
Heres the recipe for a 24L batch along with judges comments that might give a better idea of what it was like than I could give.

Attachments

• Brew#78 (AG71) BELLY OF THE BEAST V4.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 99
  • NHBC2017_feedback_AMBER.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
Back