Hoppy Bavarian Pilsner Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed this one at the end of April with the idea of having it as a cold quaffable pilsner to accompany lazy summer evenings outside with the barbecue. Two months later and it's ready and tasting fantastic. Bitterness, malt and floral hoppiness is, I think (and the wife agrees) in perfect balance. Here's the recipe:

Code:
Boil Size: 30.42 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.04 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L 
Bottling Volume: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume     
31.70 L          Tesco Ashbeck (bitter pilsner)                   Water         1          -             -           
3.59 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   2          -             -           
1.90 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   3          -             -           
3.90 kg          Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)                    Grain         4          95.0 %        2.54 L     
0.21 kg          Munich Malt (20.0 EBC)                           Grain         5          5.0 %         0.13 L     
23.00 g          Magnum [11.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           6          29.1 IBUs     -           
11.00 g          Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop           7          1.9 IBUs      -           
16.00 g          Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop           8          2.0 IBUs      -           
1.00 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 7.0 mins)                 Fining        9          -             -           
23.00 g          Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min  Hop           10         1.6 IBUs      -           
1.0 pkg          Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308)                 Yeast         11         -             -   

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Adjust mash water with 6.1ml 60% lactic acid (Ritchies) for est. 5.3pH

Total Grain Weight: 4.11 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In           Add 26.70 L of water at 68.7 C          66.0 C        60 min     

Sparge: BIAB dunk sparge with 5 litres at 75C

I hit all the predicted numbers except as usual my yeast attenuated more than Beersmith thought it would and finished at 1.007 for 83% attenuation and an ABV of 4.7%.

Fermentation was done as-per the Brulosophy quick lager method. I pitched at 10C and held it there for 5 days when the gravity hit 1.012. I then raised the temperature to 20C and left it there for 10 days to clean up any diacetyl. After 10 days I cold crashed for 5 days, kegged with gelatine and set it to 15 psi to carbonate.

Here's the obligatory beer shot:

fa8nub4.jpg

Lacing and head retention is up to expectations as well:

d8cc3hx.jpg

bloody 'ell...………..chuffed ta bits looking at this one pal.
wish my pilsners be half as good as this i'll be happy lol.
doing a peroni type now 12c....eventually haha!
well done m8.
Bri

This warm weather has been making me really want good cold lager. That looks just the ticket.

Latest posts

Back