Hoppy new year, 2013's first brew, go on then, some piccys!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's not too cold out, dry and sunny in fact, so the boilers on and the grain weighed :party:

Will put the recipe on when the mash tuns full and warmly wrapped up for its 90 min festering :cool: going to be along the lines of Jennings Cumberland Ale with a dose of extra late hops :!: going to be a summer 'just cut the grass and I need a pint' style of ale :thumb:

Edit, recipe added ........... Brewmates software

Crisps Pale Ale Malt 3.5kg
Torrefied wheat .380g
Munich malt .100g
Black malt .35g

full 90 min Challenger 30g
last 15 min Fuggles and EKG 35g each

yeast Safale US05

OG 1038
FG 1010
ABV 3.73

IBU 22.3
EBC 13.1

Might make cutting the grass more appealing this summer :cheers:

Go on then some piccys for you :lol:

Somewhere deep inside an old fishing waistcoat keeping warm and snug ......
10x4rx4.jpg

Lurks a mash tun :thumb:
10yj9kn.jpg

The mash tun giving out the last of the runnings, the ‘steam extraction plant’ (top right) keeping the garage clear from steam :whistle:
2mhdb4g.jpg

Using a few more hops than usual today, Safale05 and a protofloc tab ready for later
2ur4bbt.jpg

The buffalo giving it what for :party:
2rmmuy9.jpg

The boiler stands on a workmate bench and this allows plenty of air to circulate underneath, I never have a problem with getting a rolling boil or having the boiler cut out on me either, maybe the bottom of the boiler getting the air helps :hmm:
zjtgkw.jpg

All went rather well, the shiney coil cooling things down :thumb:
2cy2kqe.jpg

and I missed the OG .... it was supposed to be 1038 :whistle:
214yteo.jpg

I ended up at 1040 :!: oh well ABV 4% will do nicely :cheers:

Normally I rehydrate the yeast with water and pour it into the FV and away it goes.

This brew I rehydrated the yeast (Safale05) using some of wort as I was putting it in the FV, don't know why I tried this, just seemed an idea to give it a go.

However this brew has been slow to start fermenting, temps were OK etc, the only difference was rehydrating the yeast with wort as opposed to water :!:

The first 24 hrs was very slow and I was getting a little concerned, but it's going like the clappers this morning, as the 05 generally does, so won't be doing that again, back to rehydrating with plain water in future, seems to start quicker :thumb:

Yes i've read you should only hydrate dried , something to do with the yeast nutrient being used up before pitching and can slow up yeast production or something along that .

Bottled this one today and batched primed @ 40g of sugar for the 23 ltrs :thumb:

Had a sample, as one does and I reckon my prediction of it being a real nice summer thirstquencher could well be right :thumb:

Latest posts

Back