Hoppy saison recipe feedback wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a hoppy pale saison. I've come up with the recipe below and wanted some feedback on it. I've not brewed a saison before but I really enjoy a well made one. I'm not trying to brew to exactly to style as I know that it should probably be a bit less bitter and have less aroma hops but I hope it will still be nice.

Title: Summer is the Saison

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 30 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 39 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.004
ABV: 5.94%
IBU (tinseth): 46.7

FERMENTABLES:
4.1 kg - German - Pilsner (62.1%)
2 kg - Belgian - Wheat (30.3%)
0.5 kg - German - Munich Light (7.6%)

Mash at 64°C for 60 minutes

HOPS:
30 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 14.77
30 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.2, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 8.95
40 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.93
50 g - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.3, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.89
50 g - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.3, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 98 °C, IBU: 12.17

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Belgian Saison Ale Yeast BE-134
Attenuation (avg): 90%
Fermentation Temp: 2 days at 20°C raising to 27°C until fermentation is complete

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Ca2: 140, Mg2: 5, Na: 42, Cl: 57, SO4: 150, HCO3: 20

Full recipe here.

I reckon that'll work out great. I don't have any experience with that particular yeast, but good plan with the temperature control :thumba: A lot of people get carried away with high temperatures on saisons, but in my opinion the lower end of the temperature range (at least initially) gives better flavours.

The mandarina hops should be a good combo with the fruity yeast esters too.

I agree it looks good. For my taste IBUs of 46 would be too much, but that's just a personal opinion.

I like to put a bit of sugar in to really dry it out and might even mash a little lower than 64

I agree it looks good. For my taste IBUs of 46 would be too much, but that's just a personal opinion.

I like to put a bit of sugar in to really dry it out and might even mash a little lower than 64
I toyed with adding sugar. In the original version of the recipe where I was going to use WLP565 which is notorious for stalling/finishing high I would have used it. BE-134 is a diastatic yeast so will chomp through anything and leave the beer very dry so I don't think it's necessary in this case.

Looks good to me. I have added a Mandarina Hop Tea (38g) to my most recent Saison at bottling time (yesterday).
Certainly this idea of using Mandarina is along the lines of traditional additive of orange peel, in a way.

Looks good to me. I have added a Mandarina Hop Tea (38g) to my most recent Saison at bottling time (yesterday).
Certainly this idea of using Mandarina is along the lines of traditional additive of orange peel, in a way.
I've been waiting to find a use for these Mandarina Bavaria hops for ages. They've found there way into at least half a dozen recipes that I've either changed to omit them or not got round to brewing.

I hope they will work well in a saison as I understand they sit somewhere between a noble hop and a fruity new world hop.

Similar grains to my own but I use 15% Munich and 7.5% wheat, your numbers will be great. The hops are also a bit like my own but I use saaz late with the EKG and aim for 25 - 30 IBU. I plan to use mandarina hops soon, maybe in my next saison.

Latest posts

Back