Hoppy Session Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolley2002

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest or recommend a hoppy session pale ale at about 4 to 5%
Using either citra and Mosaic hop combo or citra cascade combo

Ok
West Coast Pale Ale 22L
2000g Maris otter
2000g Pilsner malt
200g Carapils
200g Melanoidin
if your using Citra and mosaic then bitter with the former and hop stand with the latter.
Dry hop with both.
Yeast US05 or similar.
ABV 4.8% based on yeast and a BHE 70%

Try a smash with either citra or mosaic very nice pint
I recently done a mosaic smash and it didn't last long

Looks good but and this is only a personal thig as I do not like over bitter beers I would move the 60 min bittering addition to the whirlpool/hopstand as 43 IBU is too much for me but not for some so again only a personal suggestion athumb..

Looks good but and this is only a personal thig as I do not like over bitter beers I would move the 60 min bittering addition to the whirlpool/hopstand as 43 IBU is too much for me but not for some so again only a personal suggestion athumb..
Thanks, I'm not a massive fan of really bitter beers either. Would you have any hop additions at 60mins?

This is personal but no I would omit it and put that amount to the hopstand/whirlpool which will remove 16 IBU if I remember and add a little back as you put it in the Hopstand/Whirlpool.
I rarely use bittering charges and get my IBU's from Hopstands/Whirlpool to a lower amount than most as I do not like the extra bitter from them but some brewers love it so again its what suits your taste

Thanks for all the feed back, just one question about fermentation and dry hop.

I plan to brew this Friday if it takes 2 weeks for fermentation to finish this would take me to 8th April.
I am away for a few days from the 7th would it be OK to leave beer in the bucket in temp controlled fridge and dry hop when I return on 11th April and then cold crash afterwards.

Thanks for all the feed back, just one question about fermentation and dry hop.

I plan to brew this Friday if it takes 2 weeks for fermentation to finish this would take me to 8th April.
I am away for a few days from the 7th would it be OK to leave beer in the bucket in temp controlled fridge and dry hop when I return on 11th April and then cold crash afterwards.
Why not dry hop on the seventh then cold crash when you get back on the eleventh don’t think that would hurt anything

Latest posts

Back