Hops conversion, help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyg55

Reaction score
Hello!

Brand new brewer here.

I’m looking to make a Heferweisen, and the recipe calls for 0.8 oz Hallertau (4% AA, pellets).

My local brew shop gave me 0.8 oz Hallertau 5% AA, dry cones).

Could I get some advice on how I should convert pellets to dry cones? Is what I have ok to use, or do I have to go and buy some more?

Thanks!

Well those leaf hops are 20% more bitter, but pellets are 10% more effective than leaf - going by the general literature.

Reverse engineering that you'd get about 9% bitterness more from those hops, that's barely perceptable so just use them all.

Great, will do. Would you advise just adding the whole dry cones straight into the pot (like pellets), or do people generally use them differently? Like put them in a grain bag? I’ve never brewed with anything other than pellets before so I’m unsure how to use them.

Great, will do. Would you advise just adding the whole dry cones straight into the pot (like pellets), or do people generally use them differently? Like put them in a grain bag? I’ve never brewed with anything other than pellets before so I’m unsure how to use them.
I have used cones in the boil but not for dry hopping as they float and don’t seem to make decent contact with beer. People who use demijons can dry hop with them because the shape keeps the hops submerged. There’s no need to use them differently in the boil.

Latest posts

Back