Hops for Irish Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Replay63

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently brewed an Irish Stout (Better Brew 2.1kg bag of extract, Safbrew Abbaye yeast, 1kg brewing sugar and 300g dark candi crystals) which turned out very well.
I dry hopped with 100g Willamette. Going to repeat the brew but instead of brewing sugar, thinking of using 500g extra dark spray malt and 2 x 454g tins of black treacle. Can anyone recommend a different hop variety to try with this mix?
Thanks!

Well, only a relative newbie but i did a wilko stout with 500 grms dark spray malt
500 grams of youngs beer enhancer, 1/4 tin black treacle,100 grams of demerera sugar, a hop tea of goldings steeped in caffatiere and added at start and a dry hop of willamette hops in the form of a tea bag and brewed short to 19 litres.
Must say it came out quite nice and it's getting better for keeping:thumb:
kept the treacle amount down as i think going overboard could end up a tad too
well, treacly:lol:

Yes, maybe drop the treacle to one tin. Not used it before. Thinking about 100g Northern Brewer pellets in a muslin bag. I generally add after 25 days and leave for 10 days so 5 weeks in primary.

On my Coopers Stout brews I've used Galaxy, German Cascade and Aurora individually as a hop tea, usually 30g boiled for 20m and then the tea and hop bag added to the FV. On the last couple I've also used coffee and coco powder to add bitterness. I've loved them all and was very sorry to see them finish. The other day I found a half bottle of stout left over and was over the moon

Plenty of choices. Northdown, Progress, Challenger and Bramling Cross are excellent English hop stout options. And Brewers Gold, English but grown in Germany. As for American hops, I think Centennial are fantastic in everything, including stouts.

Though Irish stouts don't have late boil or dry hops traditionally. Guinness is bittered with hops like Target or Galena and has no other hops. No reason why you can't add hops to a kit though, and I know all those above taste good in a stout.

Have used challenger a few times in stouts and enjoyed them.
Also used 2 tins of treacle (10 gallon brew) and found it to be overpowering...though others dissagreed

Well I got the brew on yesterday and went for Northern Brewer which I'll add after 25 days for 10 days. The brew consists of a 2.1Kg bag of Better Brew Irish Stout extract, 500g Extra Dark spray malt, 500g Light Hopped spray malt, 454g tin of Lyle's black treacle and 10g sachet Mangrove Jacks M42 yeast. OG 1050. Will bottle in 1lit PETs with 2 tsp dark muscovado sugar or similar and let you know how it turns out :pray::cheers:

Latest posts

Back