Hops Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Regular.
Reaction score
i have a load of hops that i purchased in a sale. they're all vaccuum packed etc. but some that i've never used before.I have a 50l IPA planned and thought i would give these ago.

What do Galaxy and Amarillo lend themselves well to? do they work well together?

i tend to use Citra for aroma, do they work well together with Citra?

Ta Muchly :-)

Galaxy is a lovely hop that you can use to replace Citra in any recipe. It's a bit more delicate and not as "sweaty" in high concentrations. It makes a lovely single-hop pale ale, too. I find Amarillo a bit coarse on it's own. Mixed with Mozaic, Citra (perhaps Cascade) or even Galaxy for an American IPA.
What others did you acquire. The Galaxy is a real bonus.

Wow, great advice there!!! Will have a play about with some recipe ideas on beersmith and run it by you 😊

I have loads of stuff in stock:

Just from memory I have:

Chinook 200g
Mosaic 400g
Galaxy 900g
Amarillo 200g
Cascade 100g
Citra 400g
Goldings 300g
East Kent Goldings 100g
Fuggles 50g

Those are (ish) figures

Just drawn this up as a quick guide.

Thinking I should use cascade instead of citra???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200406-170749.jpg
    Screenshot_20200406-170749.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 47
Wow, great advice there!!! Will have a play about with some recipe ideas on beersmith and run it by you 😊

I have loads of stuff in stock:

Just from memory I have:

Chinook 200g
Mosaic 400g
Galaxy 900g
Amarillo 200g
Cascade 100g
Citra 400g
Goldings 300g
East Kent Goldings 100g
Fuggles 50g

Those are (ish) figures
You hit the jackpot there. I'd keep the american ones together. Keep the Galaxy on its own (Australian) and the last three (English) together. American IPA or APA, English Bitters and something gorgeous with the Galaxy. You might get some higher alpha English hops- challenger or Target for example to make your Goldings go further.

You hit the jackpot there. I'd keep the american ones together. Keep the Galaxy on its own (Australian) and the last three (English) together. American IPA or APA, English Bitters and something gorgeous with the Galaxy. You might get some higher alpha English hops- challenger or Target for example to make your Goldings go further.

So don't mix anything with the Galaxy?

Just use it by itself?

Ok so I've come up with the following using beersmith as a guide to where I want the brew to be:

11,000g Marris Otter
1000g Munich Malt
500g Crisp Extra Light Crystal Malt

60 mins: 70g Galaxy (13.5% AA)
10 mins: 2tsp Irish Moss, 1tsp Yeast Nutrient
5 mins: 20g Galaxy
0 Mins: 10g Galaxy

50l batch split into 2.

1) WLP001 California Ale Yeast with 8ml of Mango Falvouring in the fermenter after cold crash

2) WLP051 California V Ale Yeast with 20g Galaxy dry chopped after 7 days for 48 hours

It's my first time using galaxy but Beersmith thinks I'll achieve the following:

O.G: 1.061
ABV: 6.06%
EBC: 18.5
IBU: 49.3

Next Saturday. 12 days time.

Feedback?

Back