Hops in tins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
We are looking to sell our hops in airtight tins! the tins will be resealable great for storage. I find that I'm left with a number of open foil packs so we thought this could be a good solution. I would like to ask the forum their opinions? An example of tin and design is below
jjjjjjj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be selling between £5.99 - £7.99 for 100g - like the jolly green giant straight from vine to tin (via drying) and out to home brewer all with in a few weeks off picking

I voted no, simply because then I'd have loads of tins around instead of foil packets, which take up less space and I can vacuum seal or tape closed. I want to keep my hops as fresh as possible, which involves keeping as much air out as possible, sealing and keeping them in the freezer.

I was thinking to vote yes but Ians post made me think no, the last thing I need is extra empty jars.

I can squeeze a number of foil bags into a small lunch box and store in the freezer.
The tins would take up too much space.

I know its a contentious argument but there is a case that as long as it's airtight out of sun light and "cool" there is no need to store in the fridge or freezer.

Does this product have a target market other than homebrewers? I can't immediately think of other markets.

The tins looks great, much better than the silver bags. But thinking about why you might want to introduce them, my thoughts are:

1) To give your product more shelf-appeal. The design would achieve this but I don't think homebrewers are the sort who casually browse the aisles of a homebrew shop and pick things out that take their fancy. Typically they're informed buyers who know what they're looking for and know what the product actually is (i.e. you won't fool many by putting the same product into better packaging at a higher price). Which leads onto...
2) To make it easier to spot your product. Again, this would be achieved but to make it meaningful, the actual product would need to be better (fresher hops?) or you can use the packaging to up-sell the product (e.g. is there something factual to be said for how quickly the hops are dried, at the point of sale does the tin offer better freshness than vac packed hops etc - think "steak" vs "21-day dried grass fed Aberdeen Angus steak").
3) Because the packaging itself leads to longer product freshness. As mentioned above, most guys are going to re-seal their hops and chuck in the freezer. Does keeping in an air tight container improve on this?
4) Convenience for the customer. The tins possibly achieve this if the name of the hop was very clear so, with a load of them lined up on the shelf, I could quickly grab exactly what I want. Possibly counteracted by the above point on freezing plus the notion that homebrewers plan a brew methodically so aren't doing things so much on the fly.

Taking the above into account, might I suggest the similar black branding on foil-lined vac pack bags?

I voted no but think they could maybe work for a seasonal special of very freshly dried, new harvest hops direct from the grower, which I think is what makes you different from the usual hop suppliers.
Like others though I wouldn't buy these from a LHBS or online supplier for fear of how long they'd been sitting on a warm shelf. I've been less than impessed with the quality of hops in vac packs from a couple of suppliers recently, and although this could be down to the batch they got, it does make me wonder how they been stored for what must be 8 months since harvesting.

It's a no from me too I'm afraid for reasons already outlined. That said I would very happily buy organically grown hops direct from the grower!

The tins look nice but it just puts the cost of a brew up for no obvious advantage, so it's a no from me I'm afraid.

We are looking to sell our hops in airtight tins! the tins will be resealable great for storage. I find that I'm left with a number of open foil packs so we thought this could be a good solution. I would like to ask the forum their opinions? An example of tin and design is below
jjjjjjj.jpg
I think the tins are gorgeous <3 . I'd buy them. I wouldn't store hops in them, but specialty grains. Or other, non-perishable brew-thingies, like spare hopbags.
There's this chalkboard paint, I might paint the other half of the tin and write on it what's in it.

I think the tins are a good idea if (like me) you are struggling for fridge and freezer space due to young family taking over everything...... anyway don’t know whether you could do a scheme where repeat orders have the option to choose ‘re-use previous tin’ or something along those lines so; you don’t have to commission more tins then required, homebrewers don’t end up with surplus tins and none are wasted? Just a thought.

It is a no from me I am afraid.

using a food clip on a foil packet in the freezer is no problem for me.. in Tins Id still have tins stacked everywhere in the house/ garage and it would add to the price of a brew.

So for me personally the idea is largely redundant and just adds to the cost.

Are they airtight? I have some mason jars that are supposed to be airtight and seem so but..... we left a jar of sugar at our Caravan and a couple of weeks later it was solid, seems it had absorbed moisture so cant be airtight.

No from me too, as I wouldnt be able to get them in my freezer. I vaguely remember reading some study or other that compare airtight packaged (hops)vs hops in the freezer vs airtight and frozen hops. Iirc the study suggested that temp had a a greating impact on freshness than 'airtight-ness'

Latest posts

Back