Hops on top of my Homebrew (Wilco Golden Hops Kits)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnO1234

Reaction score
Hi

Quick question.

I started a new batch of brewing last weekend and it has fermented nicely and the hops were put in after 4-5 days.

So, I went to use my hydrometer on the brew today and it looks like the hops have stuck around near the top (They were Pellets). So there's quite a lot of hop "bits" still floating around my beer even though the hydrometer is stating it is ready to be bottled.

Anyone got any ideas, or do I just goto bottling and hope it all settles?

Cheers,

JohnO

Get a tea strainer and sterilise it then use it to sca=rape off all the floating hop detritus. Then take a reading and see if you're ready to bottle. If you get all the bits of hops in your bottles, the beer's just going to gush out everywhere except into you glass. Next time, put the hops in a hop bag.

Hi,
Will do!
Ok what hop bags do you recommend. I will purchase some for my next brew!

Regards

JohnO

If you have hop bits floating in your beer it can help if you crash cool (if you have that facility) for a day or two before you package, which encourages the bits to settle. I have also given the FV a tap or ten on the side at the beer/headspace interface which drops the hop bits too, and that means you don't have to take the FV lid off.
And if you siphon I have a mesh sock (see below) which came from a Festival kit some time back which goes over the inlet to the tube and which is very effective too at stopping the bits going forward. Personally I found this, in conjunction with FV tapping and a cold place, better than a hop bag. But in the end folks choose what they believe is best. And if a bag is what you want I would go for nylon not muslin about 300mesh and at least 250mm square. There are plenty to choose from.
hop sock.jpg

Back