hops question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzer22

Reaction score
I will be doing my first beer brew in a weeks time and i will be doing a 1 gallon English IPA Recipe , my question is the recipe has good instructions but when it gets to the hops i am a bit confused , this is a 90 minutes boil the recipe says just - add you bittering hops, as prescribed above. all it says is 0.30 oz Challenger Hops at 90 minutes and 0.25 oz First Gold Hops at 10 minutes , so for the challenger hops does this mean put them in at the start of the boil for 90 minutes or when the boil has ended , and the same with the gold hops does this mean 10 minutes into the boil – in other words, for 80 of the 90 minutes? Or is it for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

The times are before the end of the boil (or how long you boil it) so challenger as soon as it starts to boil and 1st gold 80 mins later or 10 mins before you turn it off.

Hop timings are the length of time they are in the boil, so 'at 90 minutes' means the start of your 90 min boil, then the 10 minutes First Gold hops are 10 minutes before the end. Bittering hops are added early in the boil which converts more of the alpha acids in the hops into bitter compounds. I hope that helps, best of luck with this first beer 😀 .

The numbers tell you how long the good needs to be boiled for. If a recipe says put challenger hops in at 90 minutes, then put them in at the start, i.e. when the wort starts boiling. Then after 80 minutes have elapsed, you add your 10 minute hop addition which will be boiled for... yes you've guessed it... 10 minutes. Total 90 minutes boil.

If you want a 5 litres batch to ferment then your boil volume should be 7 or 8 litres. Only boil for 60 minutes and add the challenger as soon as it boils.

Latest posts

Back