Hops that Disappoint name and shame

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bramling Cross didn’t do it for me. Quite a weird fruity flavour I thought that just didn’t work in a bitter when I tried it years ago. Could just be me though

Disappointed to read comments re Mandarina as have some conditioning. Well will just have to wait and see.
Must say I've found Nelson Sauvin a bit of a let down compared to its hype
Remember we are all different, which in some way is the point of this thread. Even though others don't like Mandarina hops you may like them, but of course you may not, and you won't know until you have tried a beer with some in as you have said. And by way of example @Hopsteep has just posted he/she doesn't like Bramling Cross whereas I recently tried them like them and will now be using them in future beers. Anyway I think that is one of the enjoyable things about homebrewing given the range of hops out there, it's interesting finding out, even though there might be 'failures' along the way. When I started brewing years ago all you could get were Fuggles or Goldings cones which were probably stale given how they were packaged and sold. And remember someone's 'like' of one quantity of a particular hop in a beer may be too much for someone else, and too little for another.

Last edited:
Remember we are all different, which in some way is the point of this thread. Even though others don't like Mandarina hops you may like them, but of course you may not, and you won't know until you have tried a beer with some in as you have said. And by way of example @Hopsteep has just posted he/she doesn't like Bramling Cross whereas I recently tried them like them and will now be using them in future beers. Anyway I think that is one of the enjoyable things about homebrewing given the range of hops out there, it's interesting finding out, even though there might be 'failures' along the way. When I started brewing years ago all you could get were Fuggles or Goldings cones which were probably stale given how they were packaged and sold. And remember someone's 'like' of one quantity of a particular hop in a beer may be too much for someone else, and too little for another.

Yep, it's all down to personal taste. I did a NEIPA last year. Followed a John Finch recipe but replaced the three hops he used with Chinook, Citra and Manderina. Came out cracking. Have since done a Manderina Lager and was really pleased with that too.

Can't say I'm a massive fan of citra, or to be more accurate, of massive amounts of citra. I've had really nice beers that have contained citra in with other hops, and also some foul tasting beers that use it to produce one dimensional floral oven cleaner.
But as had been said, each person is unique; I am convinced we don't all taste things in the same way.

My main issue with Azacca was the descriptors that say Tropical, Mango Pineapple etc. I have never had a problem getting some descriptors from all the hops I have used before but not a one in this case and my wife could not detect any either so I have either got a dodgy batch or a mislabeled pack. The reason I say this is that there are no off tastes smells and it has bittered and given a definite noble hop style to the beer with no descriptors at all, they were fresh foil packed from a reputable source so If Azacca has been used by other forum members and they have got the afore mentioned descriptors then me thinks it points to a mislabeled pack?

Sabro. Dry hopped an IPA kit with 50g, described as tasting citrus, coconut, tropical. Couldnt taste any of it, and mega expensive, but did get a little certificate with them :coat:
Thanks, BB, I've seen these on the radar and was curious. I won't waste my money now.

I think some of the growers/suppliers are a little adventurous with their descriptions of hops maybe some body should do a alternative hop chart

Sabro. Dry hopped an IPA kit with 50g, described as tasting citrus, coconut, tropical. Couldnt taste any of it, and mega expensive, but did get a little certificate with them :coat:

I have seen it all in this thread. Most of the time it's not the hop. It could be storage and age but a lot of the tinenits how they are used.

50g. What was your brew size? 5l?

I just used 225g of sabro and tasted amazing. My best pale to date. Try using more.

I have seen it all in this thread. Most of the time it's not the hop. It could be storage and age but a lot of the tinenits how they are used.

I just used 225g of sabro and tasted amazing. My best pale to date. Try using more.

And also, as much as i hate to say it, its also down to the brewer. Processes and how to use the hops, when you use them and how much you look after your beer will also make a MASSIVE difference to the hop aroma and flavor of your beer.

If most of peoples findings in this thread were reality then cloudwater would be making famous for making a yorkshire mild!!!

Well I wouldn't chuck £20 worth of (experimental) hops into a, say 20-25, litre brew unless I knew it was going to be worth it. So maybe BridgeBrew did do 5 litres.

Well I wouldn't chuck £20 worth of (experimental) hops into a, say 20-25, litre brew unless I knew it was going to be worth it. So maybe BridgeBrew did do 5 litres.

They are not experimental and I have tasted them and read up on them as they have been used by big brewers.

225 grams of Sabro thats over £30 worth of hops LOL :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

Latest posts

Back