Hops that Disappoint name and shame

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMASH recipes should only be one or two gallon in case something is REALLY horrible.

I don't like dumping beer but could choke down a couple of gallons of something I dislike. It's like penance.

All the Best,
D. White

Mosaic - lovely in a mix, but on it's own I'm getting a soapy bitterness on the finish. Gonna try an El Dorado Mosaic pale next and see if I'm still getting soap.

I've been repeatedly disappointed with citra.
Hangs head in shame and awaits permanent ban

It's just not as punchy as everyone keeps saying. Even when I put close to 70g in a 15l batch along with other hops for bittering duties - it just doesn't sing like I think it should.
Not sure if Gordon Strong mentions it in the link to the podcast I put up, but in his book he discusses over hopping for a poor result.

Made a single hop APA with Idaho-7 and found it a bit underwhelming. A mate, on the other hand, loved it, but he'll drink anything. I imagine it's much better in a mix. Any recommendations?

That's my current mix in my rye IPA. Mosaic is my favourite hop.

I've not used El Dorado before but I've heard it's a good combo with Mosaic, what's it like? Gonna do a SMaSH first.

I'm loving everything about mosaic except the soapy bitterness, maybe I should bitter my mosaics with something else.

I've not used El Dorado before but I've heard it's a good combo with Mosaic, what's it like? Gonna do a SMaSH first.

I'm loving everything about mosaic except the soapy bitterness, maybe I should bitter my mosaics with something else.
I only use it as a whirlpool or dry hop. I very rarely add bittering hops to any of my hop forward beer. Down to personal taste. I don't like bitter IPAs

I've been repeatedly disappointed with citra.
Hangs head in shame and awaits permanent ban

It's just not as punchy as everyone keeps saying. Even when I put close to 70g in a 15l batch along with other hops for bittering duties - it just doesn't sing like I think it should.

I'll be leaving too then. I find it pretty one note on it's own, it only shines when paired with other C Hops.

I'll be leaving too then. I find it pretty one note on it's own, it only shines when paired with other C Hops.
It doesn't have to be other C hops, Duvel pair (or treble) it with Saaz and Styrians in their Tripel Hop. It works well. While I've heard that some posters have come across the odd dodgy bottle, I must say that over the last few years, we've had well over a hundred bottles and never had a bad one yet.

It doesn't have to be other C hops, Duvel pair (or treble) it with Saaz and Styrians in their Tripel Hop. It works well. While I've heard that some posters have come across the odd dodgy bottle, I must say that over the last few years, we've had well over a hundred bottles and never had a bad one yet.

I loved their Equinox Duvel it was delicious :beer1:

I think some of the growers/suppliers are a little adventurous with their descriptions of hops maybe some body should do a alternative hop chart
Yesi think this too. Many say tropical this and that but i rarely get all they mention via taste/aroma. Its a selling tool with a lot of them. Most hops smell and taste the same to me apart from the cheap bittering ones. My taste buds must be knackered but as long as a beer has a nice amount of late in boil and dry hop im quite happy.

Latest posts

Back