Hops that you DONT like...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all the hops mentioned as bad are good hops but not good as a single hop in an over hopped pale beer. Especially mosaic which is one of my favourites but never on its own.

I made an IPA with Mosaic and I didn't get on with the berry flavours.
I just made a mild with Fuggles and thought it was lovely, but then I like Styrian Goldings which I believe was bred from Fuggles.

I feel like Fuggles gets bad press. It's not the most exciting hop but I don't think it tastes bad, it's great as a secondary flavour, so I've had success adding it to wheat beers, Belgian style beers, stouts, lagers etc where the main flavours are coming from the yeast or malts. It adds a bit of dimension to them without overpowering the main flavours.

As an IPA it's not the most exciting.

Some surprises making the list. I wouldn't always judge a hop by a commercial brew, paying for beer isn't always a guarantee of quality.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Some surprises making the list. I wouldn't always judge a hop by a commercial brew, paying for beer isn't always a guarantee of quality.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Quite right, I believe Hop House 13 is brewed with galaxy hops!

I made an IPA with Mosaic and I didn't get on with the berry flavours.
I just made a mild with Fuggles and thought it was lovely, but then I like Styrian Goldings which I believe was bred from Fuggles.
Mosaic is one of my favourites,dank and pungent
I have never tried Fuggles though,maybe the name just puts me off!

I must admit I've found some traditional English bitters a bit "muddy", which I think comes from overuse of fuggles.

That said, English bitters are my favourite style and you're hard pushed to find one with no fuggles in, so I think maybe I just don't like them on their own.

I made a beer with a load of Polaris hops as an experiment once. Never again, the worst hop I've ever tasted.

Lol! The one with the outrageous 21% A.A. or thereabouts. Got some ages ago and used about 4 cones to bitter a stout! Worked well for that as I recall, but honestly can't remember what became of the remaining 90ish grammes!

I haven't yet made a brew with Ahtanum that I have truly enjoyed - it's hard to describe, but I find the "floweryness" from the descriptions come over to me as a "paper/musty" flavour that just makes the beer seem oxidised.

I've made the Ahtanum beers using the same methods as my other beers (but different bittering/partnering hops each time), but it's only beers with Ahtanum that have this for me, so I'm fairly sure it's the hops. Other people like those beers ("another one of those, please"), so it must just be me :?:

I don't like commercial beers with Nelson Sauvin. I get a burnt rubber flavour from them. Although I accidentally bought some for my hop store so I will try brewing with them and see if I can change my mind.

I made a beer with a load of Polaris hops as an experiment once. Never again, the worst hop I've ever tasted.

I use Polaris as a bittering hop, which it's great for. High AAs and a smooth bitterness, I put about 60g at FO in a stout I made and couldn't taste it at all. In other beers where I've added it at the end of the boil it's imparted no flavour.

I don't like commercial beers with Nelson Sauvin. I get a burnt rubber flavour from them. Although I accidentally bought some for my hop store so I will try brewing with them and see if I can change my mind.
William Bros Ceaser Augustus uses that hop and is a cracking beer

Yay I'm not alone. Nelson Sauvin is just weird.

I think all the hops mentioned as bad are good hops but not good as a single hop in an over hopped pale beer. Especially mosaic which is one of my favourites but never on its own.

One of the nicest beers I ever made was a Mosaic SMaSH. Goes to show eh? lol

For the record, I don't dislike Fuggles, I just think it needs another hop supporting it. Fuggles and EKG is a stellar combination for example.

I'm weird, I like Nelson Sauvin. It's delicious in Hobgoblin Gold... Again, could be one that needs a few pals backing it up.

I brewed a clone, using nelson suavin, very recently. Compared it to a bottle we bought and couldn't tell them apart.... They were both delicious and fruity. Website still says Pilgrim, Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Summit too. So no idea where you saw/heard they'd changed it? https://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers/

However, I have had it draught and it was VERY variable from one cask to another. One cask would be delicious, the next would be downright horrid...

Latest posts

Back