Hopsteep Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C8BC1B7D-AC89-42B4-912B-83D0E570A8FE.jpeg

My barrel of Tribute Tribute made from the Proper Job sediment is almost gone (can't begin to wonder where to) so I'll be doing another of these ASAP. However, I'll use yeast in one of the few I bottled.
How many steps are you expecting with a stir plate? It took four careful steps without a stir plate from one bottle of PJ for me. I'll use a stir plate for the next batch to see how much quicker it can be done.

My barrel of Tribute Tribute made from the Proper Job sediment is almost gone (can't begin to wonder where to) so I'll be doing another of these ASAP. However, I'll use yeast in one of the few I bottled.
How many steps are you expecting with a stir plate? It took four careful steps without a stir plate from one bottle of PJ for me. I'll use a stir plate for the next batch to see how much quicker it can be done.
I've used the sediment from two bottles (told my fiancé that I needed to drink two bottles in quick succession yesterday for the purposes for propagation:laugh8:) in 100ml initially. I've got the next step of wort cooling ready to pitch. So it'll be 100ml, 1000ml, and then I'll probably step one more time to 2500ml which should be ample for a 30L batch.

There was activity after an hour or so with the first step. I forgot how vigorous this yeast is. Proper top cropper

Mine's not far behind.

That's a healthy size for a starter, are you overbuilding?

Yeah I’m going to keep back a small amount in a jar in the fridge for future brews. I’d rather over pitch than under pitch as well. You need to pitch this strain a lot colder than most ale yeasts as well so I think it will benefit from a large pitch rate. IIRC they pitch at 16 in the brewery and then ferment at 17 ish

That's good to know about the temperatures. That's probably how they keep it clean for PJ. I'm going to use mine in a porter so happy to ferment a little higher.

HSD
Strong Bitter/ESB

32L Batch

Colour 26.8 EBC
Est Abv 5.3%
30 IBU

Grist
Maris Otter 7.9 kg
Light Crystal (60 EBC) 800g
Medium Crystal (230 EBC) 200g
Flaked Oats 300g
Chocolate Malt 60g

Hop Schedule
60 mins
Fuggles 65g

15 mins
EKG 20g

5 mins
EKG 20g

Yeast
St Austell (Propagated from bottle conditioned Proper Job)

Adjusted Water
Ca 166ppm, Mg 13ppm, Na 43ppm, SO4 104ppm, Cl 197ppm and a mash PH of 5.4.

Brew day went well. Good efficiency as well which is a bonus. OG of 1.052 and 34L in the fermenter.

This is another attempt at cloning St Austell's HSD. Im planning on gifting my dad with a crate to keep him happy!

Last edited:
HSD
Strong Bitter/ESB

32L Batch

Colour 26.8 EBC
Est Abv 5.3%
30 IBU

Grist
Maris Otter 7.9 kg
Light Crystal (60 EBC) 800g
Flaked Oats 300g
Chocolate Malt 60g

Hop Schedule
60 mins
Fuggles 65g

15 mins
EKG 20g

5 mins
EKG 20g

Yeast
St Austell (Propagated from bottle conditioned Proper Job)

Adjusted Water
Ca 166ppm, Mg 13ppm, Na 43ppm, SO4 104ppm, Cl 197ppm and a mash PH of 5.4.

Brew day went well. Good efficiency as well which is a bonus. OG of 1.052 and 34L in the fermenter.

This is another attempt at cloning St Austell's HSD. Im planning on gifting my dad with a crate to keep him happy!
Back from holiday now and a quick sample shows this is down to 1.013 after two weeks so crash cooling now. Very pleased with the attenuation as this should leave plenty of sweetness and body to the beer.

I feel a nice fresh APA coming on next for the St Austell yeasties...

05A96E1E-3CF4-4426-BCD5-012FA2302948.jpeg

Sampling an IPA sent by @strange-steve

Pours a deep orange colour (probably still a bit shaken after it’s travels although not quite as dark as the photo suggests). Moderately carbonated which is spot on for the style. Delicate tropical hops on the nose, great mouth feel and a good bitterness. Really nice beer Steve thanks for sharing. As I was away on holiday I probably left it a little long before trying. I bet when this was a couple of weeks in the bottle it was superb

Thanks mate :hat:
Tbh it was never amazing, but it made a nice change from all the dark, malty beers I've been making. The other one is much better I think thumb.

9983CB49-A881-4BDA-BEC6-31A08A8DAA02.jpeg

Force carbed overnight at 35 psi and perfectly carbed for a cask ale imitation 👌 this is a cracking beer

What are you brewing. I am going to brew later myself
Since you asked!

Resignation Pale Ale
APA

30L Batch

Colour 16 EBC
Est Abv 5.3%
35.7 IBU

Grist
Maris Otter 7 kg
Flaked Oats 500g

Hop Schedule

10 mins
Cascade 30g
Chinook 30g

5 mins
Cascade 40g
Chinook 40g

Whilrpool
Cascade 40g
Chinook 40g

Dry Hop
Cascade 50g

Yeast
St Austell (Propagated from bottle conditioned Proper Job & repitched slurry from previous batch)

Adjusted Water
Ca 186ppm, Mg 18ppm, Na 43ppm, SO4 302ppm, Cl 101ppm and a mash PH of 5.3

Since you asked!

Resignation Pale Ale
APA

30L Batch

Colour 16 EBC
Est Abv 5.3%
35.7 IBU

Grist
Maris Otter 7 kg
Flaked Oats 500g

Hop Schedule

10 mins
Cascade 30g
Chinook 30g

5 mins
Cascade 40g
Chinook 40g

Whilrpool
Cascade 40g
Chinook 40g

Dry Hop
Cascade 50g

Yeast
St Austell (Propagated from bottle conditioned Proper Job & repitched slurry from previous batch)

Adjusted Water
Ca 186ppm, Mg 18ppm, Na 43ppm, SO4 302ppm, Cl 101ppm and a mash PH of 5.3

😂 😂 😂

Don’t forget the 1/2 pint of bile that needs adding at flameout

Back