Hopsteep Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0EE5BEBE-224B-4B0B-BC4F-2733E58B68AB.jpeg

Just finished recirculating now fly sparging

I am a night brewer. Two young children so it's safer and easier at night. I will be boiling away at 10 tonight. Sipping a few from beer52 🍻 listening to 90s Indie music.
Nice! I used to do exactly that (mainly to avoid the ex wife years ago) and I'd get a mash going overnight then sparge first thing in the morning

Efficiency spot on today- pre boil gravity right on the money
71BDFD4C-D7AF-4E3E-A76C-B7CDA549FD7A.jpeg

7ECA230E-80A1-469C-ABB8-C02406DAAB39.jpeg

Transferring to FV... some grade A multitasking going on here, one eye on the beer, one on the BBQ

5978136B-EA62-4C32-B269-60811FFC5E62.jpeg

@strange-steve ’s Brett Pale Ale

Opens with a good hiss and pours a golden orange colour with gentle carbonation.
On the nose you’re struck with orange/sharp tropical notes which quickly fall in behind some proper bretty funk- musty, dank and a little bit barn yardy. Enough to make you excited and make you really concentrate when tasting it.
Slightly sharp/sour with a citric bitterness hitting you on the tongue, but as you drink more, more and more interesting flavours come out. There is a hint of sweetness that balances out the Brett and I think it works really well.
Overall I really enjoyed this beer! Definitely the most interesting beer I’ve tried. Reminds me a little of a good wine from Rhône- the longer you let it breath the more it develops and the more you appreciate it. Thanks for sending this Steve. Out of curiosity which strain of Brett did you pitch and when did you pitch it, was this 100% Brett or did you kick of with saccharomyces?

Thanks for the review mate. It's not 100% brett, it was WLP530 initially with brett B added after a couple of weeks in an attempt to replicate Orval thumb.

Thanks for the review mate. It's not 100% brett, it was WLP530 initially with brett B added after a couple of weeks in an attempt to replicate Orval thumb.
How long did the Brett fermentation take and what gravity did it drop to? Just curious as I’ve never played with Brett before. Cracking beer really enjoyed it

How long did the Brett fermentation take and what gravity did it drop to? Just curious as I’ve never played with Brett before. Cracking beer really enjoyed it
I left it for 10 weeks after pitching the brett just to ensure it had stabilised before bottling, and I'll have to check my notes but I think FG was around 1.008 or so from memory.

Ahh yes, the Riptide is the one I was considering, not cheap mind but if it does the job.....
I love how easy it is to strip down and clean. Worth the extra £100 to be able to do that alone really. Solid build quality and will shift wort like there’s no tomorrow. Plus it looks rather attractive. Lovely piece of kit

90A40269-001A-4178-A5E1-351B8E1C28B6.jpeg

Vineyard update-

Well, spotted this today! The Pinot noir vines must be really happy as one of them has produced some grapes! They’re not meant to in year 1- it’s virtually unheard of. Must be a good sign for years to come. Sadly one vine is struggling, it’s turned red in colour which points to a potassium deficiency. The garden was levelled when the house was built so maybe there’s some poor ground next to that vine. I’ve fed it with some fertiliser and just hope it comes back to life.

8D7E5B57-6710-4D51-B93E-820989F94CA1.jpeg

Up early this morning in an attempt to get finish most of the brew day before it gets unbearably hot! So muggy even at 0500 this morning, god help me this afternoon 😂

Long day in the heat. Managed 55 bottles of my resignation pale ale which will be taken with us down to cornwall in a couple of weeks. Today’s wort is sat in the fridge trying to cool to pitching temp... could take a while

Back