Hosepipe ban.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @Clint - found it on JBK. Looks like I imagined the cooking bit - dangerous things, memories!

For everyone else - people who asked if they were allowed to use immersion chillers attached to a hosepipe for home brew purposes were told it was ok and were given exemption certificates.

Obviously, I would personally recommend you save the water and use it wisely.

I know i put flippant posts up sometimes, but i do take thing seriously and water is one of them, i have 2 cml ag kits waiting but will not do them until the temps drop and will chill just enough to get it in the all rounder and pitch the following day athumb..

That's nothing compared to all the lost water that falls from the sky. What percentage of rain actually lands in a reservoir? I bet its less than 1% each year.
Ive never heard of such a ridiculous proposition. Rain falls on land and some will reach small streams which in turn will reach rivers which in turn
will feed reservoirs. Here in SE England water falling on land will soak to very deep chalk aquifers which is where vast quantities of water are stored.

Haweswater Dam Reveling Old Bridge, drone explores 04/08/2021

Mardale Green in Cumbria sits at the bottom of the Haweswater Reservoir, which was created to serve Manchester and surrounding areas with water in the 1930s.
Hundreds of villagers were evicted from their homes and most of the buildings were blown up by Royal Engineers who used them for demolition practice.

That's nothing compared to all the lost water that falls from the sky. What percentage of rain actually lands in a reservoir? I bet its less than 1% each year.

Bit more than that - UK uses about 5 billion cubic metres per year, total rainfall is about 300 billion cubic metres. Call it 2% including leaks etc. The problem is that most of it lands in places like Fort William, and not enough where the population is.

Ive never heard of such a ridiculous proposition. Rain falls on land and some will reach small streams which in turn will reach rivers which in turn
will feed reservoirs. Here in SE England water falling on land will soak to very deep chalk aquifers which is where vast quantities of water are stored.
So, water isn't lost, except for when it's lost by those you don't like. A handy trope that can be used to deflect responsibility.
Rather than saying a ban is a good thing to highlight everyone's responsibility both to water conservation and the wider impact of global warming.

Last edited:
How can water that falls from the sky get lost, it must go some were, maybe those who run the system are shifting the blame onto the general public to protect their big fat pay checks

My local water company AffinityWater have not imposed a hosepipe ban at this time, though they are asking people to be conservative with its use.

https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/our...edium=banner&utm_campaign=our-water-resources

AffinityWater.png

Last edited:
1660413403843.png

Everyone who uses water must rethink and make sure they use it wisely, the chairman of the body that has declared droughts around England says.
"We have got to rethink... and that means everyone, not just regulators and government," said Harvey Bradshaw, chair of the National Drought Group.
He is also executive director of the Environment Agency, which has warned the drought could last into next year.
A Met Office warning of extreme heat is continuing into Sunday.
The amber alert covers southern and central England and parts of Wales.
Rain is forecast for Monday but the agency says weeks of showers are needed to replenish water sources.
An official drought was declared in eight areas of England on Friday by the National Drought Group, which comprises representatives from the government, water companies, the Environment Agency and others.
John Curtin, executive director of local operations for the Environment Agency, told the BBC "this is not a normal summer" and warned lack of water would be an issue for several months.
"We'll need probably average or slightly above average rainfall this autumn into this winter for us to not be in a drought next year," he said.

His colleague Mr Bradshaw told BBC Radio 4: "We have enough water for public supply but as you run into ever drier conditions you take more serious actions to conserve the water you have and we are on that process now.
"We have got an exceptional set of circumstances which has led to this drought and we've all got a responsibility to play out now, including and principally the water companies.
"We expect water companies to bear down on leaks, we expect water companies to put in more pipes to connect their network."
He said that firms needed to move "faster and harder", adding that the Environment Agency, the regulator Ofwat, and the Drinking Water Inspectorate had formed an alliance encouraging them to come forward with plans for necessary infrastructure improvements.

"We've also produced a national framework that says 'this is the water we will need in 50 years' time and this is where it might come from'," he said.
"I've just been looking over the last 12 months and nearly every month we've had below average rainfall - low levels or exceptionally low levels.
"There is real stress in the environment and people are suffering."
He said that the group is also helping farmers, including putting those who are not using all of their water supply in touch with farmers who need it.
"But the bottom line is there isn't much water around," he added.
Meanwhile, Thames Water has apologised after hundreds of households in parts of Surrey have been left with little or no water following technical issues at a treatment works facility.
The firm said it is doing everything it can to get supplies back to normal at the Netley Mill Water Treatment Works, which supplies 8,500 properties in Cranleigh and surrounding areas.
In the meantime, three bottled water stations have been opened for anyone affected.

Full article -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62532620
1660413457779.png

I can remember taking my kids when young @1994 to see a village that was uncovered in that drought somewhere in Yorkshire. It was quite a unusual thing to go in these houses that had not been seen for years

Yes that was it Chippy there was a bridge which they did not show on the video that you could cross to go from one side of the village to the other.
I have some film and picture somewhere in my archives of it athumb..

Treating water to make it potable for poor people is wasteful and 300 years they drank beer and cider. Only bottled water in plastic bottles should be the norm. Then cut out this re-cycle krap and throw it in a river.

Latest posts

Back