Hosepipe ban.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dishwashers...you can't fit a full dishwasher worth of pans in a sink,and you can't wash a full dishwasher worth of pans on one bowl of water...so,what's more economical?
Genuine question...

Dishwashers...you can't fit a full dishwasher worth of pans in a sink,and you can't wash a full dishwasher worth of pans on one bowl of water...so,what's more economical?
Genuine question...
Obviously the dishwasher, but you never gonna convince them.🤣😂

Obviously the dishwasher, but you never gonna convince them.🤣😂
I had a look and was surprised to read -

What uses more water: a dishwasher or washing by hand?

Washing dishes by hand uses more water. When comparing the average washing up for a dinner for two, a Which? study found that washing by dishwasher is up to four times more efficient than hand-washing. In fact, looking at the most efficient models, up to 10 times less water was used than washing by hand.

• Average water usage in litres for hand washing: 9 litres
  • Average water usage in litres for a standard dishwasher: 2.1 litres
Does this surprise you? It’s a common misconception that hand-washing is more eco-friendly than using a dishwasher, but clearly this isn’t the case!

Just make sure you are using your dishwasher as efficiently as possible by only completing a load when necessary and using the eco setting where possible.

https://www.harveywatersofteners.co.uk/money-saving-tips/how-much-water-does-a-dishwasher-use/

UK heatwave: Final day of 'extreme' heat with thunder on way​

Much of the UK has been experiencing another day of high temperatures - but the spell of extreme hot weather is due to come to an end with thunderstorms.

1660480077314.png

Rain and lower temperatures are forecast for Sunday in Scotland and Northern Ireland, spreading into parts of England and Wales on Monday.
A Met Office amber warning for extreme heat remains in place until midnight.
Experts have warned a lengthy period of rain would be needed to end the drought declared in parts of England on Friday.
The extreme heat warning has been in place for a large part of England and Wales for four days - making it the lengthiest alert since the system was introduced last year.
It has not been as high as July's heatwave - when recorded temperatures in the UK topped 40C for the first time and the Met Office issued a red warning for the first time - but the extreme heat has lasted longer.
The hot weather has seen several wildfires around England, from the North York Moors National Park to Dorset on the south coast.

Extreme heat warnings are issued based on the impacts of the weather conditions, rather than when specific temperatures are reached, the Met Office said. This means different conditions in different areas of the UK may trigger an extreme heat warning.
The heat warning only covered England and Wales but Northern Ireland experienced its warmest August day for nearly 20 years on Thursday while temperatures have been high enough in Scotland to cause a wildfire in West Lothian that has burned for several days.
But in Scotland and Northern Ireland, a yellow warning for thunderstorms came into effect on Sunday morning, due to last until the end of Monday as the north experiences a sweep of heavy rain for the next two days.
The warning then spreads to England and Wales across Monday and Tuesday, though the south west and south east of England face a third day of yellow warnings on Wednesday when northern areas are expected to be drier.

An official drought was declared for eight areas of England on Friday. The move is expected to trigger stricter controls on water use and five water companies have already announced restrictions, including hosepipe bans.
John Curtin, executive director of local operations for the Environment Agency, told the BBC "this is not a normal summer" and warned lack of water would be an issue for several months.
"We'll need probably average or slightly above average rainfall this autumn into this winter for us to not be in a drought next year," he said.
The agency has said there is enough water for public supply but has urged everyone to think about their water use.

In Surrey about 7,000 households were left with little or no water on Saturday because of technical issues at a treatment works.
The problem was fixed by Sunday morning but county councillor Liz Townsend told BBC Breakfast: "This is happening more and more now with warm weather.
"To be honest, the service is not fit for purpose now and residents are rightly getting very, very annoyed about what they're having to put up with."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62539909
1660480988589.png

Last edited:
I had a look and was surprised to read -
What uses more water: a dishwasher or washing by hand?
Washing dishes by hand uses more water. When comparing the average washing up for a dinner for two, a Which? study found that washing by dishwasher is up to four times more efficient than hand-washing. In fact, looking at the most efficient models, up to 10 times less water was used than washing by hand.
  • Average water usage in litres for hand washing: 9 litres
  • Average water usage in litres for a standard dishwasher: 2.1 litres
Does this surprise you? It’s a common misconception that hand-washing is more eco-friendly than using a dishwasher, but clearly this isn’t the case!

Just make sure you are using your dishwasher as efficiently as possible by only completing a load when necessary and using the eco setting where possible.

https://www.harveywatersofteners.co.uk/money-saving-tips/how-much-water-does-a-dishwasher-use/
you forgot to add this
How much does it cost to run a dishwasher UK 2022?

It costs, on average, £0.22 per load, £3.99 per month and £47.84 per year in electricity to, might use less water but uses more wallet athumb..

I suppose its a good means of voicing their concerns but a few minutes is all it'll take the groundsman/women to cut new ones so a bit of a waste of time.

1660481296599.png

Climate activists in southern France have filled golf course holes with cement to protest against the exemption of golf greens from water bans amid the country's severe drought.
The group targeted sites near the city of Toulouse, calling golf the "leisure industry of the most privileged".
The exemption of golf greens has sparked controversy as 100 French villages are short of drinking water.
Golf officials say greens would die in three days without water.
"A golf course without a green is like an ice-rink without ice," Gérard Rougier of the French Golf Federation told the France Info news website. He added that 15,000 people worked in golf courses across the country.
The recent action targeted courses in the towns of Vieille-Toulouse and Blagnac. It was claimed by the local branch of the Extinction Rebellion movement.
In a petition, the activists said the exemption showed that "economic madness takes precedence over ecological reason".
While residents cannot water their gardens or wash their cars in the worst-hit municipalities, golf courses have escaped the nationwide restrictions.
The water bans are decreed nationally, but enforcement is at the discretion of regional officials. So far only one area, Ille-et-Villaine in western France, has diverged, banning the watering of golf courses.
The Green mayor of the south-eastern city of Grenoble city, Éric Piolle, criticised the exemption saying: "We continue to protect the rich and powerful."
Some constraints on the golf course remain. Watering must be carried out at night with no more than 30% of the usual volume of water.
Some parts of the Loire river have virtually dried up. Across two-thirds of France, a state of crisis has been declared, with rainfall down by some 85%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62532840

I tried to save water by plugging in the bath to reuse the cooling water. And my brewtablet fell in it. You can guess how much water I will save ever...

I tried to save water by plugging in the bath to reuse the cooling water. And my brewtablet fell in it. You can guess how much water I will save ever...
Sounds fascinating, but I can't understand your post. Do you mean you cool your beer in the bath or you run bathwater through your cooling coil? What's a brewtablet, a Campden tablet?

Sounds fascinating, but I can't understand your post. Do you mean you cool your beer in the bath or you run bathwater through your cooling coil? What's a brewtablet, a Campden tablet?
I run tap water through the counterflow chiller, and I decided to plug the bath, and collect it there. To use it for cleaning later on.
No it wasn't a Campden tablet, it was an Acer, dedicated to measure the temperature during transfer(not bank, or blood transfer), and monitoring the fermentation progress.

Latest posts

Back