Hot tub in winter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yahooooo - update especially for those who gave me some good tips in replies above

Stage 1 - I got cheeky and asked my Tubs maker BlueWhaleSpas Nottingham for draining down tips. The Tub I have was superb value and their Customer service is great. I really rate the Tub and the service

They rang me up and said they would send instructions via email which arrived as soon as call ended. It told me more or less what The Baron had said on here and a couple of others also pointed out

Stage 2 We had a last go and then added the pipe and pump cleaner £1.50 per half litre and ran for an hour

Stage 3 I bought a Wet / Dry vac from b&q for £40

Stage 4 yesterday I drained all water out of Tub using only the lowest point drain and a garden hose - and that took 3 hours but I was inside keeping warm and dry / easiest bit lol

Stage 5 today I took off all the side panels exposing the Heater and Pumps

Stage 6 I sucked out every jet and waterfall pipes & the low point quite a few times until I was getting nothing at all in Vacuum

Stage 7 Mrs Wherry attacked the Shell with White Vinegar and Water @ 50/50 - then the Lid

Stage 8 I put bubble wrap around the biggest pipes and the motors

Stage 9 I put Panels back on

Stage 10 I bubble wrapped the Tub 4 times round with the Roll I bought last year for £7 (exactly the right height) and put back the lid and then covered the whole lot with a Tarp I bought last year for £30

... and thats it . The proof I did it correctly will come next April but the Electricity has already gone down from 23 units of late to 12, 2 days ago and 9 (NINE) for the 24 hours to 09 00 today. 9 units from 23 ?

So thanks again all - under £80 and everything reusable again next year as against £350 I was going to be charged. I feel confident that I have all water out but time will tell especially if we get another B***t from the east

Now let it get a bit darker and its Nelsons Bitter time - and a Wobblygob Cider for the labourer

Cheers Clint - you are often in my thoughts. Well each time I get someone a glass of Cider from my new Barrel (earlier thread) and I turn off the tap - I always think "make sure its at exactly 90 degrees like Clint suggested"

Not leaked since then !

True !

I know it's an old post, but it's getting towards that time of year and I had another idea. Rather than drain hot tub, just keep the filter going and let it go cold, but then have a way to heat it up really, really quickly if you decide one day you want to go in. I got this gas water heater from ebay and it claims to be 36kw. At that rate, it could heat my 900 litres from 10C to 28C in 50 minutes - just enough time to chill a beer in the freezer. I rigged it up yesterday and water going in at 26 was coming out at 63C with a healthy flow rate so have no reason to doubt its performance.
IMG_9743.jpg

Sounds as if it would work but you have to have a good regime to keep the water right as being dormant most of the time in the winter would need daily attention also the Alkalinity stops the Chlorine working as well.
having said that go for it, if you do not try in this world you will never find out athumb..

Hi Baron

Was about to post same thing re Chemical addition. Would still need adding rain hail wind and sleet plus you would have to run pump/s to mix it all in and then technically test to see the Tub water is in range

Go for it though but I will be pleased to shut mine off / down and watch my meter readings plummet lol

Latest posts

Back