House Bitter Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anybody have a favourite English Bitter recipe?
I bought some Challenger hops today for the first time today to give them a try.
Making a Bitter with MO, crystal, torrified Wheat and chocolate malt.

I have started planning a house bitter, using an Abbot Ale clone as a starting point. The first batch are currently carbonating, will tweak the recipe after I have tried a few. I am thinking of boosting the 'orange marmalade' nature of the first gold hops with a litle amarillo or centennial.

My bitter recipe is this.

In a 23L batch I use 350g flaked barley and 250g medium crystal (150 EBC), then add pale malt to hit my desired gravity. My bitter is 1.040 so the percentages work out around 84% pale malt, 9% flaked barley, 7% crystal. I sometimes add 1% chocolate malt for colour.

I brew a clone of Orkney Corncrake for a mate which has extra pale malt added for 1.046 OG and the crystal is swapped to caramalt (or a similar 30 ebc crystal). I've also brewed it where I've swapped out 20% base malt for Munich or the last one was 10% imperial malt. So it's a fairly adaptable recipe.

For my 1.040 bitter it's 30 IBU, bittered with Admiral then 15g First Gold at 10 min and 20g at flameout for a 23L batch. I've mostly used Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire but used Scottish ale yeasts for the Corncrake.

Hope your bitter has gone well.

Latest posts

Back