How accurate is your hydrometer?!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trom-man76

Reaction score
Just using a HMRC approved hydrometer for working out abv for tax purposes. Testing these Stevenson reeve bad boys against my original homebrew hydrometer and it's almost 2% difference!!!!!!
My old beer recipie, I thought, was 5% and was really 7%
Not complaining just surprised it was that far out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_195858.jpg
    IMG_20200604_195858.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 182
Ask your self was your old recipe really 5% and the HMRC hydro was lying to be 7% for the extra revenue...only joking of course :)

I've wondered about these "HMRC approved hydrometers". Scientific (and perhaps these HMRC ones?) will be calibrated to a 4C water reference by default. Brewing hydrometers will be "calibrated" roughly to a 20C water reference. The temperature they are to be used and the "reference" temperature can be different.

The difference is put a brewing hydrometer in water at the hydrometer's "calibrated" temperature and it will read 1.000 … athumb.. yeah, that's got to be right! Put a scientific hydrometer in water at it's calibrated temperature and it will read about 0.998 … asad. na, that's got to be wrong? Nope, it's right!

Your "HMRC approved" hydrometers perhaps has a marking something like "20/4", or perhaps not because that is the default. Your brewing hydrometer should be marked something like 20/20, but probably wont because they are imprecise Noddy tools.

Just using a HMRC approved hydrometer for working out abv for tax purposes. Testing these Stevenson reeve bad boys against my original homebrew hydrometer and it's almost 2% difference!!!!!!
2% ABV difference would be about the difference on the hydrometer of 1.000-1.015, 15 points of gravity!

I checked my hydrometer last night and in tap water at 20.1 degrees it was reading 1.006. So does that mean I should subtract .006 off all reading?

check your water? or get a new hydrometer? If it is that far out I wouldn't trust it at all, perhaps the printed scale is not correct?

I checked my hydrometer last night and in tap water at 20.1 degrees it was reading 1.006. So does that mean I should subtract .006 off all reading?
That's off by a surprising amount. Have you dropped it or done anything else that would cause the label inside to slip? Yes you should subtract .006 from all readings.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed about the accuracy, more the repeatability.

For instance, if in a liquid that is really 1040, mine reads 1038, then after fermentation it is really 1012 but mine reads 1010 then the ABV calculation is the same.

Likewise, if a particular style finishes at 1015 but my hydrometer reads 1013, and the style has the maltiness that is perfect, and another style finishes at 1008 but my hydrometer reads 1006 and it has the correct dryness for that style, as long as I shoot for my hydrometer reading when brewing all is good.

OK, I might have to adjust my brewing software when I find that I always hit 2 points lower than it predicts, but that's about it

The only thing that would concern me is if the readings weren't repeatable, in other words, in a liquid that was really 1010, it would give different readings on different days despite the temp being stable. But I've never encountered that tbh.

Does it really matter for the purposes of calculating abv? If my hydrometer reads the OG, say, 5 degrees to high and I use the same hydrometer to measure the FG, that'll also be 5 degrees too high. But the difference between the OG and the FG will be the same as if I used a finely tuned hydrometer so the abv calculation will also give the same result.

I'm confused as to how you found a 2% abv difference. Did the calibrated hydrometer read a higher OG and a lower FG than your old hydrometer?

Back