How big is yours?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackemBrew

Reaction score
I've got some extra space for my brewing now and looking to get myself some bigger kit :D

Currently use an all in one 35l klarstein and looking to move to a traditional 3 pot system for some bigger brews.

How big is everyones set up here and what size batches are you brewing? Have seen brewbuilder has a good selection of pots available, can anyone recommend anywhere else? Looking to spend around £1k (eeeek!!) Ideally with some stainless steel fermenters

Cheers

People are probably sick of seeing it but here's my mash tun... and my boiler.... and my fermenter.

Jacketed Barrel 20200625_160238.jpg
Inductiona Jones 20200625_162407.jpg

And it's 25 litres or under. Some to keg and a few for bottles.

I've got some extra space for my brewing now and looking to get myself some bigger kit :D

Currently use an all in one 35l klarstein and looking to move to a traditional 3 pot system for some bigger brews.

How big is everyones set up here and what size batches are you brewing? Have seen brewbuilder has a good selection of pots available, can anyone recommend anywhere else? Looking to spend around £1k (eeeek!!) Ideally with some stainless steel fermenters

Cheers
How big a batch are you looking to do? Seeing what UK prices are like on brewing equipment I would say you would need more than a 1,000 pounds.
Three vessel systems are being sold on gum tree here along with pumps really cheap. The reason being folk buying the 65 litre BrewZilla or 70 litre Guten SVB's

How big a batch are you looking to do? Seeing what UK prices are like on brewing equipment I would say you would need more than a 1,000 pounds.
Three vessel systems are being sold on gum tree here along with pumps really cheap. The reason being folk buying the 65 litre BrewZilla or 70 litre Guten SVB's

I'd like to be around the 100 litre mark I think. I had considered the brewzilla, that with my current klarstein would have me up to around 100 but I like the idea of moving to a 3 vessel system

@BREWERS DROOP is selling something that may suit your needs (I think) on the wanted/sale page. Would leave you with some money for SS FVs.

Edit: apologies this has been sold, I've only just seen.

Cheers
Brewbuilder is fantastic stuff, its the same as ss brewtech all the lids are exactly the same as ss brewtech for a fraction of the price, i can recommended Mark at brewbuilder as a first class bloke, and you wont have any issues. He custom builds and welds all your fittings too, its a totally bespoke service, if you want his number let me know.

Brewbuilder is fantastic stuff, its the same as ss brewtech all the lids are exactly the same as ss brewtech for a fraction of the price, i can recommended Mark at brewbuilder as a first class bloke, and you wont have any issues. He custom builds and welds all your fittings too, its a totally bespoke service, if you want his number let me know.

That would be excellent, thanks very much.
I've had a look and see they have a 200 litre pot available, could be tempted to go all in at that size haha

I'm sorry,
I'm with Drunkula on this. Part of the fun is being able to brew with mininal or improvised low cost equipent.

I mash & boil in a 2 gallon stock pot on the kitchen cooker.
Sparge by splitting the mash between the 2 pans in an old steamer
And ferment in a 30 year old bucket I got with my starter kit from Boots when I was a student
:)

/Jof

I'm sorry,
I'm with Drunkula on this. Part of the fun is being able to brew with mininal or improvised low cost equipent.

And ferment in a 30 year old bucket I got with my starter kit from Boots when I was a student

/Jof

Yeah I totally get that, was the reason I bought my klarstein.

Thing is I'm now wanting to start brewing bigger batches in both total volume and grain bill so need to get some bigger equipment.

Hmm. (If you will forgive my ramblings)
You can certainly get larger fermenting vessels, but if you are looking at AG and quanties beyond 80 pints (56 litres?) then it looks to me like you are heading out of home brew (shed or kitchen) and into microbrewing professional equipment.

For me 40 pint batches is sufficient, I like having artisan beer - where each batch isn't quite the same as the last.
(Personally, I would struggle to drink back to back 40 pint batches)

The Klarstein looks like it automates quite a bit of the process, so what would be wrong with continuing to use it & just buy some additional 30L fermentation vessels?
(Maybe you want to do larger batches because you are time poor)

It might be more important to invest in the popular corny keg system to condition your beer. I use bottles - so we will have to wait for some more informed people to give their opinions.

/Jof

I'm sorry,

/Jof
Completely with you on that. I get more joy from stove top brews than industrial quantities.

Hmm. (If you will forgive my ramblings)
You can certainly get larger fermenting vessels, but if you are looking at AG and quanties beyond 80 pints (56 litres?) then it looks to me like you are heading out of home brew (shed or kitchen) and into microbrewing professional equipment.

For me 40 pint batches is sufficient, I like having artisan beer - where each batch isn't quite the same as the last.
(Personally, I would struggle to drink back to back 40 pint batches)

The Klarstein looks like it automates quite a bit of the process, so what would be wrong with continuing to use it & just buy some additional 30L fermentation vessels?
(Maybe you want to do larger batches because you are time poor)

It might be more important to invest in the popular corny keg system to condition your beer. I use bottles - so we will have to wait for some more informed people to give their opinions.

/Jof

Yeah the klarstein is good although I find it a bit of struggle with grain bills around 8kg+. Cornys were a game changer mate, I would recommend going to kegs if you have the space etc

+1 for corny kegs all day long, except for anything serving cloudy, then go bottles. I hate bottling but my raspberry wheat has dropped crystal clear. With bottles I can swoosh up the yeast in every pint, in a keg all the yeast would have shown up in the first pint of soup then gone! My next White IPA will go the same way.

ith bottles I can swoosh up the yeast in every pint, in a keg all the yeast would have shown up in the first pint of soup then gone!
Yes! This happened to me and after a first few not-unpleasant gunkers it lost the lovely milkyness that you get from the yeast.

Latest posts

Back