How can I increase "maltiness" but not OG ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair comment but I'm not aiming for 'malt forward' - malt character just needs a tweak.
I’m that case I know what your missing. Their boil is done in old school coppers and it’s a hard boil so contributes some extra complexity.

Not for much longer though, the owners are shutting it down as not economically viable.

You’re going the right way with Munich and melanoidin. Use as much Munich as you like, be a bit more sparing with the melanoidin.

It can also make a difference on brand of grain too so worth experimenting. I find Weyermann Pilsner to have a far richer malt flavour than Bestmalz for example.
That would be my advice, too. I've never found Munich makes a great deal of difference unless you add loads of it, but melanoidin malt and even amber malt can make a massive difference. use sparingly.

I think this is one of the rare instances where I'd advise adding an ingredient over looking at altering or correcting the process. I think, say, 10% of Munich would provide the necessary tweak with minimal impact on all other aspects of the beer, its hop and yeast character, OG, fermentability, etc.

https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/munich-malt/

Last edited:
I think Sadfield is right the OP only wants a tweak and Munich will give a bit more Maltiness without changing it dramatically. I have also used a small amount of Biscuit too but mind you only small say 50g

Latest posts

Back