How clean is clean?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baxterbasics

Reaction score
Hi I'm just about to sterilize my 'clean' bottles.....how long should I soak them?.....& after can I just rinse with cold water from the tap?

Many thanks guys!

fil

It depends on how `clean' your tap water is! Personally I'd rinse with boiled water - let it cool a bit if you're worried about cracking the glass and fill slowly.
I don't use any sterilising agent at all - all my equipment, bottles etc. is washed and then rinsed out using boiling water to scald them. I've had no problems with beer going off ever by doing this, though I'm sure everyone'll say I'm doing it wrong! :lol:

I use Milton tablets 15 minutes contact time is all that is needed, I would not put boiling water into a glass container it's going to end badly one day.

nothing wrong with strelizing by boiling, if you are using a sterilizer liquid then see what it says on it as it varies by brand. Tap water is perfect for rinsing as it contains enough chloride to avoid contamination while cooled boiled water does not.

if using a bleach based sanitiser rinse well (3 x), any chlorine residue can taint the beer, if worried about chlorine smelling tap water, treat the water with a campden tablet 1 tab crushed and mixed in to treat 5 gallons is fine.

i would suggest you look at no rinse 5star starsan sanitiser, at circa £15 a bottle it sounds expensive but that bottle will last you quite a few years.. mixing up 8-9ml with 5l of water for a sanitiser you can apply with a trigger spray bottle and leave made up on the shelf for months for use with a number of brews... and you dont need to rinse it off either ;)

nothing wrong with strelizing by boiling, .

That would depend on what you mean by boiling, i have never poured boiling water into a glass container that has not got Pyrex written on it, there are loads of different ways to sterilise why risk it?

i fill mine with boiling water leave to cool a bit then rinse with a steralasing solution and then rinse agin in cold water, so far no problems !

Thanks guys,
I used the little tub of VWP let the bottles soak for about 10 minutes then rinsed them (as well as one can without losing the will to live).
Think I might try the starsan as I have seen a few youtube vids of people using this & they all seem to rave about it.

Thanks again!
fil

I also use VWP but will likely get some starsan next time I order something. Only thing better about VWP as far as I can tell is its also a cleaner not just sterilizer.

I also use VWP and rinse with tap water. I also use one of the bottle rinser gadgets that fits on top of a bottle tree to rinse the bottles
If the bottles are 'clean' then I just fill the bottle rinser with diluted VWP, give them a squirt, and then put on bottle tree to drain. When all done I fill the rinser with cold water and rinse the bottles. Not had any problems yet.

I sterilise glass bottles in the oven. Clean bottles are placed 20at the time in an oven for one hour at 170*C (+ time needed to gradually getting the oven up to temperature and time to gradually cool down at the end so it takes about 2hours total) tops are covered loosely with kichen foil during heating, and wraped up in this foil properly when the oven cools down to about 50*C at the end (when I can touch the glass safely). Not only sanitises them but Sterilises them too. I've done about 150 so far and have a stash of bottles in boxes now ready to be filled. They will remain sterile for as long the foil stays on them, so no additional cleaning needed on the bottling day, just remove the protection and fill. The pros are: You can have the bottles ready any time you need them.You can sterilise them in small batches (as you collect them after use and always have have them ready to be filled).
RR

I use a VWP generic powder, bottles fully immersed for a while, perhaps 10 minutes. Then rinsed once (by filling the bottle to the top and emptying). Never had a problem, so far.

From time to time I discover, after filling and capping/corking, that despite all the bleaching and rinsing there is some residual "dirt" left in the bottle. I say "damn" then put the bottle away to mature trusting the alcohol will keep the brew ok. No complaints so far! Doesn't happen often as generally I rinse my bottles immediately after pouring - avoids the dregs caking up.

Remember, alcohol is a powerful steriliser.

I use VWP, and pleased with how it works. As previously stated a cleaner and sanitiser. I have fallen fowl of it though and had an infection (TCP smell) which was down to not rinsing enough.... That said I still use it, good stuff in my opinion.

I've learnt that good cleaning, sterilising and rinsing works every time if you do it thourougly. If complacency sets in an infection follows.

Cheers

D

For those considering the switch to a no rinse sanitiser like starsan, the maltmiller does a non branded version..
for the clean consider cheap laundry oxi, the stuff from poundland or the £shop is the best vfm (£1 per 625g) i know of BUT as we want the unscented stuff always check in the £shops by opening and looking for coloured crystals n sniffing for the scent, they can pack scented in unscented packs and visa versa.. next best price is wilko for £3 per kilo 1-2 scoops per 5gallon in warmwater will soak off any crud :) just dont make it too strong and leave overnight it can drop crystals that cement themselves to containers which can be a right sod to scrape off..

I use cheap oxy to clean fermenter and barrel immediately after use. VWP to clean an sterilize. Quick sloosh in VWP solution, quick rinse. Visual inspection an bottle brush if required. 40 bottles takes half an hour. Crown caps get a quick dunk in boiling water. All these different methods have one thing in common. We have found they work for us.

I use Videne Antiseptic Solution mixed at 1.25ml/L for DJ and FV (2 liters of water and 2.5ml videne and swirl it around all the surfaces) and a stronger 2.5ml/L in a spay bottle for spraying things like hydrometer and thermometer. no need to rinse and around 30 seconds contact time is all that's needed.

BTW I am no expert to say the least and only discovered this method quite recently in a post on HBF but I have done 3 brews using this method and had no problems.

It will cost you around £10 for a 500ml bottle but that will last a very long time.

I got mine from here http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Videne-Antiseptic-Solution.html#.VBXUMlh0yUm

If you are planning on bottling most of your brews, I'd invest in a bottle washer and no rinse sanitiser!!

I found it really hard to rinse the bottles for my first three or four batches! Our tap water still left a vague chlorine smell. I ended up rinsing with Campden treated tap water. All a bit of a pain really.

I'm done in under an hour now for a batch of 40 bottles. My investment in a bottle washer and no rinse stuff was possibly my best investment in homebrewing!

I make sure I give my bottles so really good rinse after use and before storage. Quick jet and dry on bottling day then good for use.

Thanks for replying.....not seen a bottle washer, I'm guessing these are rather expensive?.
I am starting to dread tasting my 1st batch now, as I feel I may have rushed the rinsing out part & will now have a chlorine tang to my beer!

oh well.....live & learn!:-|

Latest posts

Back