How do I add oatmeal to my stout kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerfeld

Reaction score
Hi.
I want to make an oatmeal stout using my Cooper's stout kit and, not surprisingly, fresh oatmeal.

Has anyone done this? What do I do with the oatmeal?

Any help appreciated 😀

I did a smoked oatmeal stout last month and used asda own porridge oats (rolled oats). Chuck around 200-250g in a pot of water round about 67°c although don't worry too much about being a couple degrees out. Leave it for half an hour to 45 mins and then bring to the boil,remove from heat and pass through a sieve into FV. Continue as normal from there. The above is assuming you aren't adding hops or any other adjuncts. Happy brewing!

From my experience it cleared relatively quickly. I had no problem but to be honest have you tried shining a torch through a stout?

I did a smoked oatmeal stout last month and used asda own porridge oats (rolled oats). Chuck around 200-250g in a pot of water round about 67°c although don't worry too much about being a couple degrees out. Leave it for half an hour to 45 mins and then bring to the boil,remove from heat and pass through a sieve into FV. Continue as normal from there. The above is assuming you aren't adding hops or any other adjuncts. Happy brewing!

Did that work? :thumb:

I was always under the impression you should mash oats with a base malt or did you add some extract?

I am also surprised this had a positive impact, as I also thought adding oats required some sort of mash with a base malt, otherwise your just adding starch.

Slightly different as I do AG but I added the oatmeal to the Mash.

Would have thought it would be the same with a kit? Mini Mash up?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Exactly, even for kit tweaked I have only ever seen oatmeal done with a mini mash, without the basemalt you won't get the proper extraction is that correct?

Hi Covrich

can you just expand a bit on the mini mash thing? Should I add the oatmeal to the pan with the malt extract?

thanks

Hi Covrich

can you just expand a bit on the mini mash thing? Should I add the oatmeal to the pan with the malt extract?

thanks
What size pot do you have

I would try and get some base malt like maris otter say a kilo (the grain will need to be crushed/milled) and mash that with your rolled oats in a pot at 67ºc for an hour. depending on how you want to do it instead of a sparge you could then raise the pot to 75ºc and then stir and rest for 10 mins strain all the grain and oats out then and boil it (you probably want to boil it for 30 mins or so but as I don't do these small boils I don't know what the best times are but I would go minimal 30 mins since you used grain).. cool and add to the fermentor..

As Covrich has said. :thumb:
To mash grain you need diastase to convert the starch into fermentable sugars.
'Ordinary' oats don't contain diastase. Neither does malt extract nowadays, although years ago you could buy it as DMS or Diastatic Malt Extract. Pale Malt contains diastase but kilned grains like crystal malt don't.
So if you want to add oats you are best doing it with a minimash with pale malt, or you use malted oats.

Cheers guys, gonna try this when I can get hold of the grain.

1kg of pale malt will only cost you around 1 or 2 quid anyway and will go a long way to making a better product..

If it helps look for some videos of mini mashes.. with this you won't need to add any more hops

Latest posts

Back