How do I get my corny to work!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just racked my TC into the corny keg, all good so far. Apart from I'm stuck!!

I cant seem to get the pressure into the keg. The REG doesnt seem to be reading the PSI within the canister either...

I've attached some pix:

Can anyone help? :shock:

Cheers!

crE

are you absolutely sure the bottle came full? carriage companies dont permit pressurised containers, so norman maybe supplying them empty despite him handing them to you in person.

Hey stew, thanks for the quick reply!

On the side it says:

2.7kg empty
4.7kg full

Just weight it, and its just below 5kg - so it must be full!

I cant see what Im missing. Cant hear any hissing or anything

... :(

k see that screw head right in the middle of the regulator with the red ring around it? that's to adjust the pressure to the keg, try giving that a turn with a screwdriver. some reg brands completely shut off the bottle pressure dial if that's fully closed.

before you do though, what's the bit that's coming out of the top left corner of the regulator... to the left of the keg pressure gauge? can you take a pic of it?

Thats a closeup of it. Not quite sure what it is.

[attachment removed - to replace image please upload it to an image host and link]

The screw is fully out, ive tried screwing it tightly, loosley and everything inbetween!

hmm looks like a PRV to me :hmm: thanks... just wondered if it was an overide shutoff screw ;)

that nut under the keg pressure screw stops you from over pressurising your keg by accident... you may need to wind it up the screw thread a little so you can turn the screw far enough in to start the gas flow.

crE just a word of warning, i'd leave the grey disconnect, disconnected while your fiddling with this... we dont want you over pressurising your corny and the PRV blowing TC all over the place :lol:

i'm curious as to what the plastic grey thing is on a chain... i dont have that on my regs :hmm:

Ive just taken the bolt off, and screwed it in as far as it can go.

Then started unscrewing slowly. No movment on either of the gauges, no hissing sounds of any kind.

The red tap on the top of the co2 REG is set to "OPEN". Although, it does only turn about 20' or so, just one short turn... is it meant to turn more? Am I not doing it with enoguh force?

Oh haha!

I wasnt turning the tap enough :rofl:

OK, now... I connect everything up, and i start to turn the tap, the gauge goes crazy and shoots up way further than 20psi!! More like 60psi, then I get scared and turn it off :lol:

Im confused!!

Can you disconnect the gauges and try the gas bottle to see if it has any gas in?

that might be your problem LOL... i spose i should've asked that first!

turning your reg screw all the way in is maximum pressure... dont do that! you're bottle is good for 20 bar (290 psi) but your corny is only good for 100 psi :shock: i only need a quarter turn on mine to raise pressure by 5 PSI ish ..

take your reg off your bottle and see if gas comes out in just that 20' turn you spoke of... it'll make you jump if it does so brace yourself :lol: if it dont, then you know your not turning it far enough ;)

ha! you beat me to it :)

k.. you need to unscrew the pressure screw to turn the pressure down... the keg pressure gauge wont go down though if the line/keg is still under that pressure... this is where the corny PRV comes in handy to let out the excess pressure... be gentle with it though or you might end up with a face full of TC

Ok right...

I turn the big red tap on the co2 canister, the gauge goes up to 40PSI or so, then when I turn the gas back off, the gauge goes back down to 0.

I really dont understand how these regs work, and if I'm putting too much pressure into the keg :roll: :oops:

no worries mate.. dont panic! you're going through exactly what i did the first time i got my 6 keg gas board... let me walk you through it.

the reg on the right is your bottle pressure gauge... this should be about 20 bar on a full bottle dependant on the temperature the bottle is store at... it'll stay at this pressure until it runs out... then it'll drop like a stone and you'll only have about 2 kegs worth of pressure left.. so when you notice it start to fall under 20 bar.. it's time for a refill.

the gauge at the top is your keg pressure gauge. this gauge will remain at the pressure of the keg/line even if your turn the reg pressure down... this is because the reg doesn't let the gas out if you do turn it down because you could get a backwash of beer in your regs... which'll ruin it. it's a safety feature.

unscrew the pressure screw all the way and turn off your gas bottle. you'll notice the keg pressure gauge will stay steady... now... gently pull the PRV of the corny until the pressure drops below 10-15 psi on the gauge.

now.. turn your gas bottle on and SLOWLY turn the pressure screw inward until your desired pressure is reached

Ok... I think it get it..

Although, I'm getting a lot of gas blowing over my fingers when I turn the big red tap open. Is this normal? Or do I need to invest in a new spanner? :lol:

As when I turn the gas off, the keg pressure gauge just drops back down to 0

if all your pressure gauges are dropping back to 0 as soon as you've turned the gas bottle tap off, you've got a leak... make sure you've got a gromet in the connector for your gas bottle and tighten the gass bottle connector nut up as tight as you can... make sure the john guest fittings are screwed in tight.

if in doubt, put some soapy water on all the connectors and turn the gas back on... the bubbles will give you a good indicator ;)

I've managed to get it stuck to 20psi. But its dropping very slowly. Is it meant to do this? Or do you think theres definatly a leak?

Also - is it meant to spray gas from the canister? theres a lot coming out when i turn the tap :wha:

(As I've been typing this, its dropped down past 15psi)

Latest posts

Back